Design Thinking Tools — The Creative Matrix
Over the next few weeks I’m going to give layman descriptions of Design Thinking tools anyone can use in any business, at any time. These help generate ideas, create a shared understanding, encourages divergent thinking and are incredibly fun and engaging.
- Define problem statement as a questions “How might we make our fruit store a better place to visit”
- Draw a max 5x5 grid on a board or massive sheet of paper
- At least 2 groups, ideally more. Each has their own sheet or whiteboard
- Actors horizontally, components vertically
- Now fill in each cell with a post it note that has a basic sketch of an idea. This engages the creative side of the brain.
Now get together as a group and talk about each of the ideas… The more the merrier. Reward quantity. Remember to not generate all the ideas in one group, but rather a few groups. This lets everyone have a say.
This will help you come up with new ideas and can be used on simple and complex problems.