Five Things You Need to Know About Michael Truncale
Donald Trump nominated Michael Truncale to be a lifetime federal judge in the Eastern District of Texas. Here are five things you need to know about him.
- Even though there was bipartisan opposition to Michael Truncale’s nomination, Senator Susan Collins supported him.
- Michael Truncale wants to shut down Planned Parenthood. In 2014, Michael Truncale ran for Congress and plainly declared, “I don’t think we should be funding Planned Parenthood. I’d cut them off.”
- Michael Truncale has a history of advocating to limit women’s access to reproductive health care. When Michael Truncale ran for Congress, he declared that he had “strong pro-life and pro-family values.” Truncale also attacked former Texas State Senator Wendy Davis, who undertook a 13-hour filibuster to delay a vote on an extreme anti-abortion bill, saying her “claim to fame is the fact that she wants to kill babies five months into term.” When Truncale testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee, he was asked if he stood by this statement, and he refused to directly answer.
- Michael Truncale opposes the Affordable Care Act. Michael Truncale said, “We also must repeal Obamacare. I believe Obamacare is unconstitutional.”
- Michael Truncale is a partisan, political lawyer who once called President Barack Obama “an un-American imposter.”