Topic : Smart Cities (2018/19)
The impact of technology on where we live, work and play
This is an archived version of a page from Digital Society 2018/9, to preserve content for past participants. See the main page for the latest materials.
Manchester students: work through this page and leave a comment before Mon week 3 (11 Feb).
Digital technologies are having an increasing impact on determining our environment and the places that we live, work and play. What will be the impact of technology on the future of our cities?
Liverpool to use blockchain technology to become world's first climate-positive city
Liverpool City Council has announced a new partnership with a blockchain platform company to offset more than 110% of…
Designing the Smart City
with Balaji Raghavan, Erika Maddox, Manan Thadeshwar, Nabeel Adeni, Natasha Vujcic, Shiv Kant Kumar and Yogendra…
From Smart Cities and Smart Citizens to Smart Societies — the story so far…
Over the past few years, in my role leading digital transformation and enterprise architecture for Bristol City Council…
Smart cities are boring. Give us responsive cities.
As an urban technologist, I'm often asked to give an example of a compelling smart city application that real people…
Could the smart city mean the death of privacy?
As the Internet of Things grows and society becomes more interconnected, millions of citizens are beginning to…
What do you think?
After reading the above, try to answer these questions:
- Can smart technology help address climate change and make cities more sustainable?
- What would a ‘smart city’ look like to you?
- Have you noticed any real life examples of technology being used to make a city smarter?
- Do you think we should embrace more technologies when improving our cities or do you think we can go too far?
- Are there areas and people within society that living in a smart city may affect negatively? Who and why?
Leave a comment
After accessing and thinking about the above, leave a comment below to share an idea, a question, or a response.