(Closed) Data journalism editor
The data journalism team at The Times and The Sunday Times is a computational investigations unit made up of programmer-journalists. We specialise in using computing to find untold stories. This team has been at the heart of numerous public interest investigations, including The Sunday Times’s exposé of doping in athletics and The Times’s tax avoidance investigation.
We are looking for an experienced journalist or editor who can join this team and lead it across both Times titles.
The ideal candidate has experience leading a team of technologists in investigations. We also welcome applicants who may not have experience in that respect but have worked in tech or investigative journalism separately.
The Data Journalism Editor will lead the team in collaborations with the newsroom so will need to demonstrate knowledge of the latest data journalism techniques and provide a plan on how to use them to improve journalistic practice. Experience in newsroom change — particularly in informing and helping newsrooms in digital advancement — is also very welcome.
- Lead and manage the team to deliver data-driven investigations for both titles.
- Facilitate creative solutions and processes for finding and pursuing story ideas.
- Make forward plans, pitch team investigations and prioritise team’s workload.
- Oversee the team’s research, collection, cleaning and analysis of data, reporting and writing, and see data-driven stories through to publication.
- Act as main applicant for large dataset applications and liaise with external and internal groups for managing data.
- Foster relationships with colleagues at overseas publications in order to position the data journalism team as a partner for international collaborations.
- Oversee digital production and visibility of the team’s stories through visualisation, social media, etc.
- Build good working relationships with editors, section heads and journalists across both titles to ensure the skills of the data team are being used where they are most needed.
- Help improve data literacy in the newsroom and introduce computational methods that benefits the journalistic process. Lead training sessions explaining data journalism to our newsrooms.
- Stay abreast of the latest developments in data journalism, introduce new ideas and approaches, learn from what competitors are doing and inspire the team.
Applicants must have the right to work in the UK. Deadline for applications is April 8
About the digital team
The Times and The Sunday Times represent a combined 400 years of covering news and providing comment and analysis on the UK and the world.
We are authoritative, credible, responsible, trusted and a part of the nation’s cultural heritage.
This role will join our cross-title digital strategy team which includes data journalists, newsroom developers, multimedia journalists, interactive news producers and audience development experts. These teams are charged with finding and telling stories on our digital platforms in the most appropriate formats and empowering the newsroom to present stories in new and innovative ways.
You can discover more about the benefits of working at TNL (beyond joining a great team!) here. You’ll find more info on everything from Gym memberships to volunteering opportunities.