We are seeking a data journalist skilled in computational methods to join our newsroom and help us carry out investigations.
The successful candidate will pitch and report data-driven stories for both The Times and Sunday Times whilst collaborating with editors, reporters, designers and developers. This is a journalistic position as much as a technical one.
Programming skills are a must as well as the ability to deliver rigorous research and write clear and concise copy to deadline.
Our data team specialises in using technology to find untold stories. It has been involved in numerous investigations, including The Sunday Times exposé of doping in sports and The Times’s Oxfam revelations.
- Demonstrable interest in public interest journalism and UK current affairs
- Training or experience in journalism (e.g. news writing, media law, investigative research)
- Proficiency in using one or more programming languages, such as Python, R or SQL for data collection and analysis.
This job is for you if
- You want to use your data and programming expertise to find and report compelling and impactful stories in the public interest
- Enjoy working as part of a wider team to pioneer computer-assisted reporting techniques in two newsrooms with proud histories of investigative journalism.
We welcome applications from those with backgrounds in journalism, academia, computing or related fields.
Applicants must have the right to work in the UK.
About the TNL Digital Team
The Times and The Sunday Times represent a combined 400 years of covering news and providing comment and analysis in the UK and the world.
We are authoritative, credible, responsible, trusted and a part of the nation’s cultural heritage.
This role will join our cross-title digital strategy team which includes data journalists, newsroom developers, multimedia journalists, interactive news producers and audience development experts. These teams are charged with finding and telling stories on our digital platforms in the most appropriate formats and empowering the newsroom to present stories in new and innovative ways.