Ready to Tweet? 5 Social Media Tips for Small Businesses
There are over 2.3 billion social media users, and growth from year to year averages around 10%. One thing is obvious, for any business, social media is no longer optional.
As a small business, it can be challenging to find the bandwidth to develop and maintain a strong social media presence. It’s not uncommon to see a small business with several social media icons on their website but outdated posts and minimal followers on their actual pages. The following five tips are designed to help small businesses just jumping in to social media or those considering an overhaul of their current social media strategy.
- Pick one platform — Determine which social media platform your target demographic is using most. Focus on that platform first. Once you have developed a consistent presence with a growing following, you can consider expanding.
- Practice listening — “Facebook stalking” may be the new norm for dating millenials, but it’s not a bad idea for organizations new to social media too. “Listening” to what your target demographic likes, posts, retweets can be a powerful indicator of what to post and when.
- Plan your posts — Spontaneity feels like the name of the game on social media, but without an editorial framework, your posts are likely to be disjointed and irregular. Establish an editorial calendar, like this one, and build in opportunity for that perfect meme that pops up at an opportune moment.
- Post with purpose — You can put whatever you want on your personal page, but every post from your organization’s handle needs to be purposeful and on message. The more people turn to social media as their primary source of information, the more they expect you to contribute value in their news feed.
- Partner early and regularly — The best and easiest way for you to gain followers is to partner with like-minded organizations whose tribe overlaps with your target demographic. Post with purpose and they will likely become part of your tribe too.
Helpful? Consider clicking that little green heart below.
For more detailed examples of how I help organizations craft and deliver effective digital strategies, check out my website at jessicaphg.com.