Day 11: Bergen, After Which I Disappear

Today was our day in Bergen and we made the most of it.

Across the water is the famous Bryggen area. It’s full of shops, a museum, and at the end of it is a castle.

First stop was Bryggen, where we went through the shops, picked up some fun souvenirs, heard a military band playing in the castle square, and walked around Bergenhus ( the castle ).

A shop full of locally handcrafted lace. My mother was very happy about it.
No, the picture isn’t crooked — the stairs are. A Christmas shop is at the top of them.

While shopping, I did find the style I want for my new front door.

This carving is a replica of a door ( part of a set of double doors, which is why it’s so skinny ) from a stavekirke.

A lot of the shops in the area were general souvenir shops, but there were two whole rows of shops from local craftspeople. The lace shop pictured above was one, and the leather shop below is another.

So many people wanted their picture taken with this moose that I had to wait a while to get a relatively clean picture.

My brother wants a Viking nativity scene with sea serpents in it, but the only sea serpent we were able to find was a bit large.

Don’t think this guy is going to fit in a miniature nativity scene.

The castle — built in the mid 13th century — was pretty cool from the outside, but we did not bother with a tour through the inside due to price and the fact that we’ve seen quite a few castle interiors in our lives.

The people at the square in the background are listening to a Norwegian Navy band. They were fun to hear.

After a few hours in the city, it was time to get out of it, so we took a short train to the top of one of the mountains surrounding Bergen.

A panoramic of Bergen from atop the mountain.

From the top, we took a short hike to a lake and then decided to walk all the way down. It was pretty light ( just under 3 miles ), and a lot of fun.

A life-size troll at the top where the train unloads.
Into the woods we go.

Apparently some very rare species of animal still exist in these forests …

We didn’t scare any or feed them. Or get eaten.

A friend and co-worker had advised that we walk barefoot on the mossy ground in Norway, so we did.

I may be in business casual dress, but I have forsaken both shoes and socks in favor of the soft ground on my toes.

Here’s a few more pictures from our hike …

Yes, I climbed at least partway up these rocks. I told my nieces I was going to Norway and had to climb up a mountain to talk to a troll mother who wanted me to bring her babies back for the girls to take care of. This photo is proof of doing that.
My brother crossing a bridge.
A ton of people have stacked rocks in this area.
So I added my own tiny rock stack ( there weren’t a lot of free rocks just lying around ) to the grouping.
There is moss everywhere — it’s awesome.

After the hike, it was time to hike back up to our apartment. Which is on top of a large hill. Imagine walking this street several times every day.

People in Bergen tend to be somewhat fit. I have a feeling that walking up and down large hills all day helps with that.

This post is my last blog post for at least 2, probably 3–4 days. Tomorrow morning we are heading out to Gudvangen for a three day kayaking trip up a fjord. I will not be bringing my computer along and will be surprised if my phone works the whole time ( in fact, I’ll be switching it to airplane mode to conserve battery for picture taking ).

I’ll come back to blogging and sharing the kayaking trip as soon as possible, at which point I will probably be in Oslo. Have a great and adventurous next few days, I know I will.