Eye Tracking: Enhance Your User Experience
Over 140,000 websites are created every day. In this growing technological world, there is an ongoing competition for consumer attention. While User and Market Research can point you in the direction of an effective and user friendly website, it can be difficult to obtain concrete data about your website’s true performance. This is where Eye Tracking can be your secret weapon. Eye Tracking is a growing channel of technology that allows a researcher to see exactly what a user — your customer — is looking at, how long that item captures their attention, and the order in which they look at the different items on your page. If your company has specific goals for its website’s user experience, it’s time to figure out how it’s actually performing.
Eye Tracking research allows you to explore a number of aspects regarding a user’s experience:
- User Decision Making Process
- When a prospect first lands on your homepage, what do they see? What items do they look at to make their first click decision? Or, what do they see before deciding to leave? This is where Eye Tracking can specifically benefit E-commerce sites. Tracking an individual’s buying process can give you valuable information about what on your site is encouraging sales and what is acting as a deterrent.
- Additionally, this decision making process analyzation can be applied to search engine results, allowing marketers to learn which facets of search results influence an individual’s decision to click.
- User Expectations
- A visitor to your website will have pre-existing expectations about how your page will be set up based on the type of company you are. These expectations may include, but are not limited to, the location of links and search bars, the content, how the navigation will function, and what types of resources will be available.
- Eye Tracking allows you to learn what these expectations are and whether or not your site lives up to them. How your page aligns with user expectations can have a direct impact not only on the usability, but also the retention of visitors.
Data found through Eye Tracking research allows you to make a variety of inferences:
- Locate Discrepancies
- This information helps you evaluate the match between your design’s usability and the business objectives your company has laid out.
- Ask: What do you want your website to do as far as motivating customer behavior? Is that what is actually happening?
- Pinpoint Cause
- Once these discrepancies have been located, Eye Tracking can help you diagnose the origin of these issues.
- Ask: Why are we experiencing this mismatch? Is the behavior we expect happening, but not producing the desired effect? Or, is the behavior not occurring at all?
To the trained eye, this type of research allows one to suggest changes that will directly, and significantly, enhance user experience. With thousands of new websites being created daily, don’t make the mistake of overlooking the impact of user experience. Find a company who has the knowledge, expertise, and technology to get you the answers you seek. Click here to explore the different Eye Tracking options Discida offers.
Originally published at Discida.