UORDERIT is a new startup that is building a marketplace for IT contractors around the world.
- AWS Well-Architect Foundations
- CICD Implementation
- Application Deployment
DNX utilised the open source, infrastructure-as-code software Terraform to provide a solid, secure, and cost-efficient AWS platform to enable UORDERIT to deploy their workloads.
After the AWS foundation phase, continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform were introduced to deploy AWS infrastructure and application changes.
Lastly, the UORDERIT applications and databases were migrated to the new platform using Containers, CICD and ECS with blue/green deployment concepts relying on DNX best practices.
UORDERIT was struggling to achieve a reliable, robust cloud platform that supports the MVP launch, keep cloud costs in control, and simultaneously move new features to production quickly.
Proposed Solution & Architecture
DNX was engaged as a trusted advisor to design, implement and deploy UORDERIT’s cloud platform and application stacks.
By using DNX One — our all-in-one AWS platform based on open source Terraform modules — UORDERIT could promptly start planning the deployment phase into the AWS platform. The following features were implemented:
- AWS Design and Documentation
- Infrastructure-as-code using Terraform and DNX open source modules
- CI/CD Pipelines for Terraform Projects
- Application Container Strategy
- Application Blue/Green Deployment
- AWS ECS Cluster Configuration
- AWS RDS Setup and Configuration
The diagram below illustrates the high-level design used for UORDERIT:
Project Outcomes & Success Metrics
With the project completed, UORDERIT can now deploy workloads in an automated way across 2 main AWS accounts (non-production and production), and with the following benefits:
- Full automation of cloud platform to avoid configuration drifts across environments.
- AWS Billing under control
- Zero Downtime deployments
- Daily deployments to production
- Improved time-to-market using CI/CD pipelines and immutable servers on AWS
- A secure and scalable platform to allow the company to grow
The following are the most important take-aways from this project:
- The AWS Design Phase is integral to understanding the platform and application constraints
- CI/CD pipelines for infrastructure is essential to avoid mistakes within the Implementation Phase
- Application containers provide immutability and safety to the roll out of new deployments with zero downtime in production
The project for UORDERIT was delivered in less than one (1) month, and the velocity was due to automation and CI/CD pipelines — both core DNX principles. The result of our work is now live, providing a cost-effective, secure, and reliable AWS experience for the client.
“As a Start-Up company, there are many challenges that can potentially derail your project. These usually revolve around the governance of the project, or the lack thereof. Most of our web-development was outsourced overseas, therefore it was vital for us to partner with DNX Solutions, to future proof our development pipeline.
DNX Solutions architected our environments in a way where it would scale and more importantly be secure. This solution means we can work with a developer anywhere in the world and be assured that we remain in control of our development.”
Founder & Managing Director"
At DNX Solutions, we work to bring a better cloud and application experience for digital native startups in Australia.
Our current focus areas are: AWS, Well-Architected Solutions, Containers, ECS, Kubernetes, Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery and Service Mesh.
We are constantly hiring cloud engineers for our Sydney office, focusing on cloud-native concepts.