Stop giving your dog liquor
Why is Jessica’s dog on ‘Love Is Blind’ drinking from her wine glass?
There are a couple of rules I’ve backed down from when it comes to dogs: 1. Never let a dog lick me on the face/mouth. 2. Keep dogs off of the furniture. The problem is there’s not a dog owner alive who hasn’t had a dog catch them slipping. If your dog has never snuck in a face kiss, you own ‘Lectronimo, not Astro. And as much as I was completely opposed to dogs on furniture, I eventually gave up on that — or got pushed over by a 50–60 pound body that decided I was her pillow.
The minute Jessica leaned over and let her dog drink from her wine glass, all I could do was throw my hands up in the air.
I understand the close camaraderie that dog owners want to have with their pets, but can we please agree on one thing? Under absolutely no circumstances should your dog be drinking from your glass nor should your pup be drinking liquor at all. Jessica from “Love Is Blind” — the least-liked cast member on this bizarre dating show — was unlikable enough for toying with Mark’s feelings. But the minute Jessica leaned over and let her dog drink from her wine glass, all I could do was throw my hands up in the air.
She is not alone though. Do an image search right now for dogs drinking wine, beer and other hard liquor, and you’ll unfortunately find plenty more. No matter how old your dog is, she is never old enough to drink liquor. And you’re also trying to make her ill in the process.
The American Kennel Club confirms that the amount of ethanol that can cause dog intoxication varies, depending on the concentration level. But the oral lethal dosage in dogs is approximately 5.5–7.9 grams of 100 percent ethanol. If you cannot visualize how little that is, one cup is equal to 125 grams (4.4 oz). The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services recommends only up to one drink per day for human women and up to two drinks per day for human men — 5 ounces of wine, 12 ounces of beer, 1.5 fluid ounces of 80 proof distilled spirits.
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) reports that one dog almost died from only eating 10 grapes.
As funny as those dog alcohol photographs may look, AKC warns that dog alcohol toxins may lead to collapsing; decreased respiratory rate; depression or lethargy; drooling; hypoglycemia (low blood sugar); hypotension (low blood pressure); hypothermia (low body temperature); incoordination; vomiting or retching; or other weaknesses. And although Pet MD confirms that light beer is the least dangerous of the bunch, the size and the weight of the dog matters just as much as the amount of alcohol consumed.
Additionally, grapes (as fruit) are toxic for dogs anyway.
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) discusses one dog that almost died from only eating 10 grapes. The 5-month-old Pekingese/Pomeranian-mix started off vomiting and ended up with diarrhea. If not for the owner taking her dog to an animal hospital, a careless mistake could have been a dog fatality. And that dog isn’t the only one. The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) received 3,722 calls, or cases, related to grapes and raisins in 2016 — out of a total of 180,639 total cases that year. And grapes (among other foods) made it to number three on the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) top pet toxins list.
So instead of trying to get that one cool photo or video of your dog drinking liquor, just stick to water in a beer mug or bowl. Or, donate to the Motorworks Brewing in Bradenton — a Florida company that is putting shelter dog photos on their beer cans to raise money for animal shelters. (Take a trip to your local craft store and do it yourself, if you insist.) But take the word of the one-star reviews for “CharDogNay” and other unnecessary dog liquor recipes and dog liquor drinks. Chances are your dog would rather have a treat more than the dog liquor anyway.