Four funded doctoral student positions (Closed)
Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt is establishing a Karl Popper Kolleg (graduate school) entitled Networked Autonomous Aerial Vehicles.
Therefore, in compliance with § 107 par. 1 Universities Act 2002, the following open positions are announced:
Up to 4 Doctoral Student Positions (f/m)
These 75 % employment positions (30 hours per week; Uni-KV: B1) are limited to 36 months. The minimum gross monthly salary amounts to € 2.048,30 (14 times per year) and can increase in accordance with the provisions of the collective agreement in the case of consideration of previous occupational experience. Expected starting date is 1st October 2017.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Independent research and scientific qualification within the above mentioned Karl Popper Kolleg with the aim to acquire the Doctoral Degree
- Presentation of scientific results in journals and at conferences
- Student mentoring and team work
This graduate school seeks to push the current bounds of state-of-the-art in navigation, coordination, and communication of multi agent unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs). The groups of the involved faculty publishes in international top journals and conference proceedings. Successful applicants will be encouraged and supported to publish and present their work in such journals and proceedings and will have the opportunity to cooperate with our world renowned international partners in science and industry. We currently cooperate with partners worldwide, mainly in the USA/Canada, and in Europe. We specifically encourage close and open collaboration with our peers both internationally and at the University and support international exchanges with the universities and research institutions affiliated to the graduate school (e.g. ETH, MIT, CMU, NASA, UofT, U-Mich, UPenn, Georgia Tech, etc). Our young research groups provide a highly dynamic, familiar, and friendly attitude and thus a collaborative and inspiring work environment with very modern infrastructure, which is continuously updated and upgraded.
- A university degree (Master or Diplom-Ingenieur) in electrical engineering and information and communication engineering, mechanical engineering, computer science or related field, graded with excellent academic success
- Proven knowledge and experience in mobile robotics or/and communication technology
- Proven programming skills in at least one of the languages Matlab, C / C++, Java, ROS
- Fluent spoken and written English skills
Candidates must meet the required qualifications by 30th September 2017 latest.
- Good knowledge of cooperative software development with GIT or SVN
- Scientific publications in the area of mobile robotics or/and communication technology
- Relevant international or practical experience
- Basic experience in student supervision and research projects
- Fluent spoken and written German skills
- Social and communication skills, ability to work independently
The position is aimed at the scientific training of graduates of a diploma or master program with the goal of a PhD thesis in engineering. Applications from persons already holding such a degree can therefore not be taken into account.
Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt seeks to increase the ratio of women in scientific positions and therefore encourages qualified female candidates to apply. Among equally qualified applicants, women will receive preferential consideration. People with disabilities or chronic diseases, who fulfill the requirements, are particularly encouraged to apply.
Applications should be submitted with the usual documents (application letter, CV, master/diploma thesis, certificates and supporting documents) no later than 26th July 2017 mentioning the code 423/17 to Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt, recruitment office. Applications can only be submitted online via www.aau.at/obf.
General information for applicants is available on www.aau.at/jobs/information. Information about research on Networked Autonomous Aerial Systems at Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt is available on http://uav.aau.at. Further information about the open positions and the Karl Popper Kolleg is provided on www.aau.at/en/research/research-profile/karl-popper-kolleg or by:
- Prof Dr Stephan Weiss, +43 463 2700 3571
- Prof Dr Christian Bettstetter
- Prof Dr Hermann Hellwagner
- Prof Dr Bernhard Rinner
Short-listed candidates will be invited to an interview. Travel and accommodation costs incurred during the application procedure cannot be reimbursed.
This text is legally not binding. The official version can be found in the Mitteilungsblatt of July 05, 2017 of the university.