Meetup #5: Metrics & Methodology for Measuring Decentralization (w/ ConsenSys) at Coinbase HQ
Everyone talks about layer-1 decentralization, but few are able to quantify it as “decentralization” is a really broad term. At our latest Dystopia Labs meetup, Mally Anderson & Everett Muzzy from ConsenSys discussed the different categories, subcategories, and metrics used to measure decentralization (+ shared a lot of really interesting data points).
The takeaway for attendees is that you’ll have a basic methodology / framework for quantifying the health & potential of various layer-1 protocols
Meetup #5 — Objectives:
- attendees will learn why decentralization is important
- be given a comparable framework / methodology for quantifying decentralization across multiple blockchain protocols
- get data & insights on decentralization for Ethereum
Meetup #5 — Speakers:
The talk explores areas where we can quantify decentralization on the Ethereum network and how to measure them, including account ownership, token usage, function call diversity, mining, and node distribution; identifies areas of centralization to keep an eye on, increasing defi usage and diversity; what’s ahead in Ethereum 2.0; and more.
- Devcon5 Talk:
- Paper on Decentralized Transactions Per Sec:
- Blog On Measuring Blockchain Decentralization: https://consensys.net/research/measuring-blockchain-decentralization/
- Feb 1st & 2nd — Trust-Less 2020: A Proof-Of-Stake Validator Conf (http://trust-less-2020.dystopialabs.com/). This is a virtual conference, so you’ll be able to tune in from anywhere in the world. Learn from experts at ETH 2.0, ConsenSys, Polkadot, Celo, Coinbase Custody, Certus.One, Staked, and more on how to build your own staking-as-a-service company.