RD Spotlight: Cari Riker, RDN, LDN, CDE, CHWC
Meet Cari Riker! Find out her personal food philosophy & how she uses EatLove PRO in her private practice focused on disease management.
This story is a part of the RD Spotlight series where we feature outstanding Registered Dietitians around the globe who are part of the EatLove community.
1. How do you use EatLove PRO in your work? Tell us a little bit about yourself, your practice and specialty.
I have recently started a part time Private Practice this year with an emphasis on disease management with pre-diabetes, diabetes, heart disease, and IBS. EatLove has helped those battling chronic diseases understand what it looks like to apply the nutrition education to their daily meals. It takes the guess work and frustration out of developing a meal plan for the client and for me. And helps them step out of their comfort zone by trying new recipes.
2. What is your favorite part about being a Registered Dietitian?
Helping people develop a healthy relationship with food and getting people excited to learn the best way to fuel their body.
3. How do you utilize meal planning in your practice?
If people are looking for meal plans and willing to cook at home, I offer them EatLove Meal plans to meet their individual nutrient needs. I then will check in with them weekly for the first month to ensure they are comfortable with the program, and follow up monthly after that with any questions/concerns.
4. What are your favorite features on EatLove PRO? How has it changed your job on a day-to-day basis? How has it impacted your clients?
EatLove saves me HOURS on developing an individualized meal plan for patients. I LOVE how it caters to that individuals nutrition needs, they can swap out the recipe if they don’t like it, and they love the grocery list. The patients have loved trying new recipes, new foods, and seeing positive results from following a meal plan catered to their individual needs.
- What’s your favorite food? Too many to choose from! I really love a piece of cedar planked salmon.
- What’s your go-to quick weeknight meal? Tacos, with a busy family and variety of taste buds I love offering a variety of proteins and veggies for the family to load up their taco or burrito bowl or taco salad. Made the way we each like it! And I love to make fresh pico de gallo!
- Food philosophy? Real Food leads to Real Change. I work with people to have a comfortable and confident knowledge of nutrition and apply it to their daily lives.