Electrical Firmware/Data Engineer
Write the code that will transform millions of lives.
Location: San Francisco, CA
Company Description: Off Grid Electric is an international, venture-backedstart-up that’s aiming to light a million homes in Africa over the next years with clean and affordable solar energy. We are designing and manufacturing best-in-class solar home systems for the African off-grid market with a globally distributed team: a field Engineering office in Arusha, Tanzania, design team in San Francisco, California, and a manufacturing and quality team in Asia. Our user centered design tenets balance building an aspirational energy product for our customers and a designing mass-scalable product that can be produced in the millions.
As a key member of the our Hardware Development team, the firmware/data engineer will be responsible for the some of the most important aspects of our product: the firmware and hardware data. Working closely with our senior electronics engineer you will leverage your experience to ensure best practice at firmware development and testing. You will also be the chief advocate for user data, and ensure the company receives maximum value out of our wide deployment base to gain insights for future product development as well as key user insights. You will work closely with our software department to ensure seamless integration into our backend and installer and customer mobile apps.
- Architect and maintain system firmware
- Manage and improve firmware testing on the bench and in the field through beta testing
- Architect hardware data collection and perform analysis
- Collaborate with S/W team and API manager to ensure hardware/software integration
- Design hardware field quality and use data dashboards to be used by entire company
- Experience in firmware architecture and programming using C for 8-bit / 16-bit MCUs (bare-metal and RTOS implementations)
- Embedded system experience integrating embedded processors, power management, GSM, etc.
- Familiar with best practices for firmware testing, including writing and execution of test plans, debugging, and testing scripts and tools for use in manufacturing
- SQL data analysis with tool such as Looker (preferred)
- Familiarity with data acquisition and data analysis
- Experience in firmware optimization to achieve ultra-low power device operation
- Familiarity with git / source control concepts
- Experience with Dashboard development
- Experience using C# for desktop
- Experience using lab equipment (i.e. logic analyzers, oscilloscopes, multimeters, etc.) to test code functionality
- Excellent written communication and technical writing skills (e.g. reports, technical memos, work instructions)
- Bachelors of science in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- More than 3 years experience as firmware engineer
- Experience using C#
- Experience with connected devices, lithium batteries, solar modules etc.
- Previous startup experience and familiarity with a distributed team work environment
- Visit some of the loveliest and most exotic parts of Africa
- Work to solve energy access for more than one billion people living off the grid in Africa
- Work with some of the smartest, most committed, and hardest working co-workers in a distributed environment.
Send us info about yourself to email@example.com. We’ll get the ball rolling from there!