Three’s a crowd with Windows 10 Mobile

With iOS’ market share holding steady at 40.83% and Android’s at 51.04% for a grand total of 91.87% of mobile devices, there isn’t much room left for Windows 10 Mobile. Even if Microsoft managed to gobble up every ounce of the market that remained beyond Apple and Google, Windows 10 Mobile would only total 8.13%. Now, of course, it must be understood that these numbers are volatile and ever-changing. Consumers switch platforms on occasion, but even taking this into account, its difficult to believe gained shares would add up to more than several percent.

Smartphones today have developed into more than a gadget for obtaining information and making phone calls. These devices are personal, borderline sentimental, components of modern living. If you want proof, consider the following example: If I reached through your screen, grabbed your phone, and threw it against the wall, your reaction would most likely not be a positive one. And why do you feel this way? It could be because the device was expensive; that’s a lot of cash for a brick-sized electronic. It could be because you haven’t backed your phone up in a week or nine; personal data doesn’t always save itself, you know. It could be because your phone is the primary way you stay connected to your friends and family; when was the last time you memorized a phone number? Your smartphone holds all of this information, and it’s all uniquely yours because you put it there.

So of course we’re picky about our smartphones! We’ve grown accustomed to the way they look, the way they behave, even the way they feel in our hands. You are familiar with both the hardware and software because you two, human and phone, have spent a lot of time together. In the grand scheme of familiarity, people don’t like change if it can be avoided.

Case in point, I have personally transitioned to Android no less than three separate times, each ending in my ultimate return to iOS. It’s not because I hate Android; in fact, I like many things about it. But when it comes down to it, iOS meets all of my needs, including those Android couldn’t satisfy. For instance, my family and I rely on iOS’ services too much to deviate. Features like iMessage and Find my Family are too important for us as a unit to leave behind. And yes, there are certainly Android alternatives to these features, but forcing the group to use various third-party apps to achieve what the core software can do on its own seems a bit monotonous. Not to mention, my user experience would be extremely diminished if I forfeited features like Continuity and Handoff, which I do take advantage of from time to time. So iOS works for us. My brother and his wife, on the other hand, operate on an Android way of thinking, and they would never choose anything else. But I digress.

You choose your platform for you. The moral of the story is that consumers select their mobile platform based on their needs and preferences. Because of this, users don’t only get stuck in their ecosystems; they tend to enjoy them. Furthermore, the ecosystems Apple and Google have built are extensively inclusive. They provide everything from cloud storage to robust app stores, to services like GPS mapping, and so on.

Thus, Windows 10 Mobile is doomed! Okay, doomed is a bit of an overstatement; no one can see into the future, but the strong competition from Apple and Google do make one question if Windows 10 Mobile has the steam it needs to succeed. That’s not to say Windows 10 Mobile is an inadequate piece of software. If it turns out to be anything like Windows 10 for the PC, Microsoft may finally have uncovered a winning equation to success. All I’m saying is that it may be difficult to pry iOS and Android users away from their devices, because they’re invested, they’re comfortable, and most of all, they’re satisfied!

For those who aren’t, a trek into Windows 10 Mobile may be the answer to their Android/iOS aversions. That’s why an alternative mobile OS exists, right?

Have an opinion on this topic? Leave us a comment in the box below, or reply to this post on Twitter or Facebook. Your participation is valued; it makes us feel warm and fuzzy inside. Thanks!

Reference Links Softpedia, The Mobile Millions,

Originally published at elevatestl.com on August 19, 2015.