Announcing the Encode Algorand Club
We are delighted to announce that we will be running a ‘Club’ with Algorand, starting Monday 14th September 2020 (applications open now till Sunday 23rd August 2020).
The ‘Club’ is a 10-week online pre-accelerator taking the best university, hackathon and early-stage projects worldwide and helping them take the leap to becoming fully-fledged startups. We have just run our first Club, with ThunderCore, to great aplomb (see here), with four of the eight projects receiving a follow-up grant to continue their development.
We are delighted to be working again with the Algorand Foundation and helping to champion the adoption of the Algorand blockchain. For those that don’t know, Algorand were Gold partners in our winter hackathon (see here) and one of the most popular platforms that students to build on. Their technology, the brainchild of Turing-Award-winning cryptographer Silvio Micali, stands out at the forefront of the blockchain space, particularly their pure-proof-of stake protocol. We also know first hand that their developer relations and support are second to none.
Our theory is that when smart developers finish hackathons, they have a lot of potential to keep building but are not ready for the commitment of going full-time. We wanted to create a programme to help them get to the next stage. Hence ‘the Club’ was borne. We also wanted teams to all build on one platform together so they have the camaraderie, support and feedback from other teams at the same stage.
- There is an information event (see here) on Thurs 20th August at 5.30pm London time. This is to provide more information and answer questions.
- Apply by Sunday 23rd August here.
- We will select the best 3–10 to participate in the Club.
- The Club will start on Mon 14th September and last till the end of October.
- Projects will meet weekly for a talk or workshop and mentor session.
- Projects will also have a weekly one-one feedback session.
- Projects will be expected to show progress on a weekly basis.
- After 10 weeks, there will be a Demo Day event to show your finished project. The best will be put forward for further funding.
- More info here.
- A grant of £4k
- Weekly support and guidance.
- Access to a private Discord community of other teams working towards the same goal.
- Mentoring from leading entrepreneurs and investors.
- Daily development support from Algorand’s team.
- Help with product-market fit.
- Help with preparing to raise investment/further funding
- More info here.
- The Club is primarily aimed at projects coming out of universities, however, any high-quality individual or team will be allowed to participate
- The programme will take place online, so anyone in the world can take part.
- As part of this being a pre-accelerator, you do not have to commit full-time to your project or incorporate a company (you will have 2–3h a call commitments per week minimum)
- So long as your project has not received equity funding prior to starting the Club, you will be allowed to participate.
- Those at universities will be given priority, but anyone is allowed to apply.
- Teams can be made up of 1–6 people.
- More info here.
- Thurs 20th August — Information Event
- Until Sunday 23rd August: Application Window.
- Monday 14th September to Sunday 22nd November: Build period - group sessions x 1 each week, individual sessions x 1 each week.
- Early November: Presentation event
Find out more about the Club here.
About Encode Club
Encode is a university blockchain developer community organising hackathons, events and similar initiatives. For more information, see here.
More info on Algorand
Algorand Inc. built the world’s first open source, permissionless, pure proof-of-stake blockchain protocol for the next generation of financial products. This blockchain, the Algorand protocol, is the brainchild of Turing Award-winning cryptographer Silvio Micali. A technology company dedicated to removing friction from financial exchange, Algorand Inc. is powering the DeFi evolution by enabling the creation and exchange of value, building new financial tools and services, bringing assets on-chain and providing responsible privacy models. For more information, visit https://www.algorand.com/
About Algorand Foundation:
The Algorand Foundation is a not-for-profit organization that has a vision of a borderless, frictionless economy built on public, decentralized blockchain technology. The Foundation, in partnership with Algorand Inc, has built the Algorand blockchain protocol — initially designed by cryptography pioneer and Turing award winner Silvio Micali and a team of leading scientists — as the cornerstone of achieving this vision. The Foundation envisions a wide breadth of applications being built on this protocol by a new, wider community of mainstream developers. The Foundation is committed to facilitating this innovation in a sustainable and eco-friendly manner by utilizing the Proof of Stake consensus algorithm. For more information, visit https://algorand.foundation/.