Introducing Supernova, the First Global Internet Computer Hackathon
The Internet Computer is the third major blockchain innovation — the world’s fastest and most affordable blockchain for building and deploying Web3 dapps, DeFi, games, NFTs, social media, and metaverse projects that can scale to millions of users, all entirely on-chain.
Encode Club is excited to announce Supernova, the Internet Computer’s inaugural global hackathon run. Supernova is six weeks long, running from May 10 to June 20, 2022. Teams are welcome to submit projects anytime in advance of the June 20 deadline at 11:59 PM Pacific Time.
The total prize pool for the hackathon is up to $6 million, including specified track prizes, grant funding, and funding opportunities from partners. Sponsors and judges include Polychain Capital, Electric Capital, Huobi, Foresight Ventures, Tomahawk.VC, and Animal Ventures.
To register for Supernova, use our Typeform to gain access to support from Encode.
To ask questions about Supernova, contact email@example.com
There are six categories for the Supernova hackathon:
- WEB3: With the Internet Computer Protocol, developers can build lightning-fast dapps that are truly decentralized from end to end, as well as take advantage of low-cost decentralized storage. Best of all, there are no gas fees for users and low gas fees for developers. Web3 empowers the creators, builders, and users of decentralized platforms.
- DEFI: The Internet Computer expands the world of possibilities of decentralized finance in a multi-chain world. DeFi on the Internet Computer integrates with dapps and offers a seamless user experience with low fees.
- NFT, GAMING & METAVERSE: Imagine 100% on-chain NFTs in the metaverse, guaranteed to last forever. The Internet Computer’s “reverse-gas model” means no hefty gas fees for users, and affordable minting for developers and creators. Low storage costs are just the cherry on top, enabling fully on-chain gameplay, 4k films, music libraries, and so on as NFTs. The only limit is your imagination.
- DECENTRALIZED SOCIAL: Web3 will revolutionize the way people organize, communicate, and collaborate. The Internet Computer is uniquely positioned to enable the world’s transition from Web2 to Web3, as social networks and dapps are completely on-chain, allowing for seamless user experiences and mass adoption. Decentralized Social (DeSo) enables users for the first time to be in control and can make social media work for them.
- INFRASTRUCTURE: The Internet Computer is one of the top five fastest-growing blockchain ecosystems, and infrastructure is key to developer adoption. Examples include Canister Development Kits (CDKs), agents, IDEs, debuggers, oracles, asset bridges, and general integrations and APIs.
- SOCIAL IMPACT: The Internet Computer is a globally accessible, affordable and scalable blockchain, whose developers and users can be found all around the world. Build projects that positively impact your local community and beyond. Web3 affords us the opportunity to rebuild the systems that we have in place today, in order to create a more fair and transparent future.
For each of the six main categories above, the prizes are as follows:
- 1st Prize
— $45,000 + 4 Tickets + $50,000 Grant*
- 2nd Prize
— $30,000 + $25,000 Grant*
- 3rd Prize
— $20,000 + $25,000 Grant*
- 4th Prize
— $15,000 + $5,000 Grant*
- 5th Prize
— $10,000 + $5,000 Grant*
In addition, there will be a GRAND CHAMPION award for the hackathon submission deemed by the judging panel to be the strongest of all the submissions. The GRAND CHAMPION award recipient team will receive $75,000, as well as a $100,000 grant*.
There will also be a COMMUNITY CHOICE award for the hackathon submission that receives the most votes from the community. The winner of the COMMUNITY CHOICE award will receive $10,000, as well as a $5,000 grant*.
*Grant awards are not automatic or immediately guaranteed. Hackathon winners become eligible for participation in the DFINITY Developer Grant Program and entitlement to the full grant award amount is subject to meeting specified milestones and satisfying all terms and conditions of the DFINITY Developer Grant Program.
Following below is a timeline of important events and milestones for the Supernova hackathon.
The hackathon will include a series of educational workshops that teach participants to build decentralized applications on the Internet Computer. Each workshop will occur twice: once during a time amenable to those who live in UTC -7 to UTC +3 time zones (e.g., Americas, Europe) and once during a time amenable to participants in the remaining time zones (e.g., Asia). Links to attend the workshops can be found on the Devpost.
- **Click here to add all workshops to your calendar.**
- Friday, March 25th: Registration opens on Devpost
- Tuesday, March 29th (9:00 AM Pacific Time / 6:00 PM Central European Time): WORKSHOP #1: Introduction to Building on the IC — Motoko & Rust (Option 1)
- Thursday, March 31st (11:30 AM India Standard Time / 2:00 PM China Standard Time): WORKSHOP #2: Introduction to Building on the IC — Motoko & Rust (Option 2)
- Tuesday, April 5th (9:00 AM Pacific Time / 6:00 PM Central European Time): WORKSHOP #3: Frontends on the IC (Option 1)
- Thursday, April 7th (11:30 AM India Standard Time / 2:00 PM China Standard Time): WORKSHOP #4: Frontends on the IC (Option 2)
- Tuesday, April 12th (9:00 AM Pacific Time / 6:00 PM Central European Time): WORKSHOP #5: Build an Encrypted Notes Dapp (Option 1)
- Thursday, April 14th (11:30 AM India Standard Time / 2:00 PM China Standard Time): WORKSHOP #6: Build an Encrypted Notes Dapp (Option 2)
- Tuesday, April 19th (9:00 AM Pacific Time / 6:00 PM Central European Time): WORKSHOP #7: Mint an NFT (Option 1)
- Thursday, April 21st (11:30 AM India Standard Time / 2:00 PM China Standard Time): WORKSHOP #8: Mint an NFT (Option 2)
- Tuesday, April 26th (9:00 AM Pacific Time / 6:00 PM Central European Time): WORKSHOP #9: Build a DeFi use case (Option 1)
- Thursday, April 28th (11:30 AM India Standard Time / 2:00 PM China Standard Time): WORKSHOP #10: Build a DeFi use case (Option 2)
- Tuesday, May 3rd, 2022 (9:00 AM Pacific Time / 6:00 PM Central European Time): WORKSHOP #11: Build a DAO (Option 1)
- Thursday, May 5th (11:30 AM India Standard Time / 2:00 PM China Standard Time): WORKSHOP #12: Build a DAO (Option 2)
- Tuesday, May 10, 2022: Supernova hackathon virtual kickoff event
- Monday, June 20, 2022: Supernova submission deadline (11:59 PM Pacific Time)
- Thursday, June 30, 2022: Supernova Demo Day & Awards Ceremony
Hackathon Judging Criteria
All Supernova submissions will be graded according to the following five criteria:
- X Factor and Potential: What is the wow factor of the idea? Does it have potential?
- Technical Competence: What is the quality of the technical designs and source code?
- Social Impact: Does this project solve a real-world problem? Can people use it?
- Progression: Can a library be used? Is a service actually usable? How far did you go?
- IC Factor: Have you managed to leverage and demo a unique platform capability?
We look forward to seeing the innovative dapps and use cases that you’ll build during the Supernova hackathon!
To participate in the hackathon, please register via the form below.
Apply for Dfinity's Internet Computer: Supernova Hackathon and win great prizes!
You can also find out more and register via our website.
About The Internet Computer
The Internet Computer is a revolutionary blockchain hosting unlimited data and computation “on-chain.” With the Internet Computer, developers can easily build scalable dapps, DeFi applications, NFT projects, websites, and more. The DFINITY Foundation is a Swiss not-for-profit based in Zurich with the mandate of advancing the mission of the Internet Computer.
About Encode Club
Encode Club is a web3 education community learning and building together through fantastic programmes with the leading protocols in the space. Together we organise programmes like education series, bootcamps, hackathons, accelerators both online and in person. We then help our community get jobs and funding for projects and startups.
Join the Encode Community