Engagement Lab launches Journal of Civic Media, Submissions Due April 20th
The Engagement Lab is pleased to announce the launch of the Journal of Civic Media (JCM), a first-of-its-kind publication dedicated to the field.
JCM will be published twice per year and edited by graduate students in the Civic Media: Art and Practice program at Emerson College. JCM’s inaugural call for submissions is active at this time, its theme is “Public Engagement in the Smart City.”
“A forum for the contemplation and discussion of civic media topics is necessary to promote this young but critical field”
The focus of the journal is the practices of using media and technology to facilitate democratic process, ranging from global digital platforms to community-based media initiatives. JCM’s objective is to provide a forum for scholars, practitioners, students and the general public to read about and discuss the complex landscape of the field.
“A forum for the contemplation and discussion of civic media topics is necessary to promote this young but critical field,” said Eric Gordon, Engagement Lab Executive Director and Professor at Emerson College.
The theme for the August 2018 edition invites the contemplation of the “value of a smart city as it is or should be determined by the people who live, work, learn or play there.”
Submissions may consider all aspects related to public engagement in the smart city, including but not limited to:
- The presence of community voice in smart city activities
- The contemplation of non-technology smart city interventions
- The effects (real or imagined) of typical ‘smart city’ activities on privacy and security
- Meaningful, uncommon or uncontemplated smart city engagement strategies
- Analog/non-digital approaches to engagement and how they may be applied to smart initiatives
- Race and class in urban technology projects
Potential submitters are invited to view the full call on the Journal of Civic Media website, and questions regarding the journal or the call for submissions are invited to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.