Luna is a beautiful name 👩🏼, but do you know the secret behind this name?
Latin & Greek are the foundations of modern English — so learning them will help you master difficult English vocabulary at lightning speed ⚡️ Of course, I will help you memorise these old words real fast too! 🚀
Latin word of the day: LUN — MOON 🌛
- Lunar (adj): /ˈlunər/ related to the moon 🌚
- There are lunar eclipses, a lunar calendar, lunar tides, and lunar orbits.
- Lunacy (n): /ˈlunəsi/ Insanity. Madness. Craziness.
- People used to think insanity was related to the cycles of the moon.
- It’s lunacy to go out in the snow wearing those flip flops! 👡 ❄️
- Lunatic (n): /ˈlunəˌtɪk/ someone who is either clinically insane or just acting really crazy. 🤡
- Someone driving too fast and zigging in and out of traffic is driving like a lunatic. 🚘
- Lunatic originally meant someone who went crazy with every phase of the moon, kind of like a werewolf. 🐺
- Lunation (n): /luˈneɪʃən/ the period between successive new moons (29.531 days) = Lunar month. 🈷 📆
- Lunate (adj): /ˈluneɪt/ Crescent-shaped. Resembling the new moon in shape. 🌙 🌛
Memory Tip: Luna is the Roman goddess of the Moon.
Or think of Luna from Harry Potter, she has white blond hair just like the colour of the moon and sometimes she acts like a lunatic!
Follow EnGeek if you think it’s helpful to you in anyway and want to support us emotionally 🙃 🙏