First attempt, and I measured the ruler improperly. Luckily I made a pretty small test print that didn’t take very long to figure this out. I also got a better sense of scale which is something that is quite hard to do in solidworks I find.
I got a press fit mechanism to work with a more precise measure of the alidade. After that it was a simple extrusion in solidworks to create the sights. However, working with the material has created some problems for me. The sights are too small to see out of over the ruler, and I found out today that having taller sights can be beneficial to allow for greater vertical tolerance when sighting points.
This was the only alidade that got tested out in the field and while it worked very well overall, there were a few things that I would change.
First is that the thread is too light to sight the ranging pole at longer distances. Its fairly hard to see. Second is that the aluminum contracts less than the plastic in the cold, causing the once great pressfit that I had to become loose.
I saw Soonho droop one end of his alidade without realizing it and I picked it up before it was lost. I clearly have to fasten the alidades into the ruler somehow. I’m thinking a long rubber band between the two ends could work.
3D print an iteration of the alidade that uses a rubber band to hold the parts in.
Code is law