Cannabis in the Workplace: FAQ for Employers
Cannabis legalization in Canada has many implications for employers with lingering uncertainties. We partnered with Brandon Hillis, an Employment & Labour Lawyer with Roper Greyell LLP, to answer your questions about cannabis in the workplace.
- What does the legalization of cannabis in Canada mean for employers?
- Is the law around cannabis the same across Canada?
- What are the key things that every employer should have in place now that cannabis is legal?
- Are my obligations as an employer different for recreational vs. medical cannabis use?
- What is an employer’s duty to accommodate for medical cannabis?
- Are employees obligated to inform their employer if they use cannabis recreationally?
- Can employees use cannabis recreationally before work, during their shift, or on a break?
- What do I do if I if I suspect that an employee is under the influence of cannabis at work?
- If I suspect an employee is under the influence of cannabis at work, can I conduct a drug test?
- How can an employer with a safety-sensitive work environment approach cannabis policies?
- How should an employer handle cannabis in the office & at company events?
- Now that cannabis is legal, do employers have to allow cannabis plants in the office?
- Should you drive under the influence of cannabis?
- For people thinking about applying for a job in the cannabis sector, should they be concerned?
Do you have additional questions? Contact us today!