The EOS User Agreement.vFinal
Thank you to the community members who helped review and contribute feedback to this document.
The on-chain referendum proposal can be found here.
This document was written by EOS New York for the benefit of the community and is a result of our participation in the community-driven development of EOS governance over the past year. Each person who has participated in these discussions is credited with helping write this document.
The word “constitution” can be perceived differently across cultures and languages, so we have shifted the title of this document to the EOS User Agreement.
The EOS User Agreement is an open-source template and EOS New York has not directly submitted it for a referendum. You should feel empowered to take this document and change it, amend it, propose it, or otherwise mold it to fit what you believe is best.
The design principles for this document:
- Items are enforceable.
- Establishes a framework of “governing documents” so that amendment of the EOS governance can be agile.
- Defines roles and responsibilities of various user types.
All capitalized, italicized, or inline code terms in The EOS User Agreement will be given the same effect and meaning as in Definitions.
- EOS User Agreement: This document (EUA)
- Chain ID:
- User: Any person or organization of persons who maintain(s) direct or indirect ownership of an EOS account, or EOS-based property connected to an EOS account.
- Ownership: Direct or indirect access to an EOS account through one or more valid permissions checks. Ownership may be partially shared between Users through the use of multi-signature permissions.
- Block Producer: Users who have called
regproducerand receive rewards from eosio.vpay.
eosio.prods: An EOS account with a dynamic permissions structure that can assume the privileges of the
eosioaccount when 15/21 Block Producers agree to do so.
- Network Funds: Tokens contained within the following accounts:
- Governing Documents: regproducer is considered a governing document.
- On-Chain: Any transaction, smart contract, or Ricardian contract which is located within a block that is irreversible and appended to the EOS blockchain
- EOS-based Property: Anything that requires a valid permission in order to directly manipulate, alter, transfer, influence, or otherwise effect on the EOS Blockchain
- Call: To submit an action to the EOS Blockchain
- Authorizations & Permissions: Permissions are arbitrary names used to define the requirements for a transaction sent on behalf of that permission. Permissions can be assigned for authority over specific contract actions.
- Ricardian Contract: A contract that places the defining elements of a legal agreement in a format that can be expressed and executed in software.
Article I — User Acknowledgement of Risks
If User loses access to their EOS account on
chain_id and has not taken appropriate measures to secure access to their EOS account by other means, the User acknowledges and agrees that that EOS account will become inaccessible. Users acknowledge that the User has an adequate understanding of the risks, usage and intricacies of cryptographic tokens and blockchain-based software. The User acknowledges and agrees that the User is using the EOS blockchain at their sole risk.
Article II — Special User Types
Users who call
regproducer agree to, and are bound by, the regproducer Ricardian Contract.
Article III — Consent of the EUA
The nature of the EOS User Agreement is such that it serves as a description of the current EOS Mainnet governance functions that are in place. These functions, enforced by code, do not require the consent of Users as these functions are inherent and systemic to the EOS Mainnet itself.
Article IV — Governing Documents
Any modifications to the EUA and governing documents may be made by
eosio.prods. It is admonished that a statement be crafted and issued through
eosio.prods via eosio.forum referendum contract describing such a modification in advance.
Article V — Native Unit of Value
The native unit of value on EOS chain_id shall be the EOS token as defined and created by the
eosio.token smart contract.
Article VI — Maintaining the EOS blockchain
eosio.prods will maintain the active blockchain codebase which includes, but is not limited to, the implementation of all modifications of all features, optimizations, and upgrades: present and future.
Article VII — Network Funds
It is admonished that any altering of the state of any tokens contained within network fund accounts, or altering any pre-existing code that directly or indirectly governs the allocation, fulfillment, or distribution of any network funds be preceded by a statement crafted and issued by
eosio.prods to the eosio.forum referendum system contract describing the effect in advance.
Article VIII — Freedom of Account Creation
Any current or future User is able to create an EOS Account without the permission by any other User.
eosio.prods may never affect an EOS User Account(s) without valid permission(s) which have been shared with
eosio.prods by an EOS account.
eosio.prods may charge a fee for any actions that are requested by other Users pertaining to an EOS account where permissions are shared.
Article IX — No Fiduciary
No User shall have a fiduciary purpose to support the value of the EOS token. No User can authorize anyone to hold assets, borrow, speak, contract on behalf of other EOS Users or the EOS blockchain
chain_id collectively. This EOS blockchain shall have no owners, managers, or fiduciaries.
Article X — User Security
All items pertaining to personal account security, including but not limited to the safekeeping of private keys, is solely the responsibility of the User to secure.
Article XI —
eosio.prods Limited Liability
The User acknowledges and agrees that, to the fullest extent permitted by any applicable law, this disclaimer of liability applies to any and all damages or injury whatsoever caused by or related to risks of, use of, or inability to use, the EOS token or the EOS blockchain
chain_id under any cause of action whatsoever of any kind in any jurisdiction, including, without limitation, actions for breach of warranty, breach of contract or tort (including negligence) and that
eosio.prods, nor the individual permissions that operate it, shall not be liable for any indirect, incidental, special, exemplary or consequential damages, including for loss of profits, goodwill or data.
regproducer agreement is a good first attempt but it can be vastly simplified. The reality is that only items required of this agreement are consistent block production and the ability for BPs to self-enforce and remove bad actors.
The intent of the
regproducer action is to register an account as a BP candidate.
producer, agree that I may be removed by 15/21 Block Producers for any reason deemed appropriate at any time.
producer, acknowledge and agree that my
producer account is exempt from Article X of the EUA and submit that 15/21 Block Producers may effect my account if deemed necessary.