Equal Citizens July 2019 Update
We’re now smack dab in the middle of summer, but, in case you missed it, we’ve still been up to lots of energizing, important work to spread the word about why our democracy needs fixin’. Better yet, we want to make sure people know there are real solutions that will make our democracy better. Here, as quickly as we can give ’em to you, are a few highlights from the last few weeks:
- We held a democracy town hall in New Hampshire with Senator Kirsten Gillibrand that was a roaring success. She discussed her public financing campaign and broke some news by coming out in support of ranked-choice voting. Hooray! You can watch the whole event herewith excellent sound and video quality. (No Facebook login required.)
- On Thursdays, we’ve continued to post new episodes to our podcast, Another Way. Lessig has had great recent episodes with presidential candidates like Beto O’Rourke and Marianne Williamson, plus experts on gerrymandering and the electoral college. Check it out and subscribe here.
- On our blog, our first-rate interns wrote fantastic posts about gerrymandering and stripping felons of voting rights. And we had great guest posts about the census case and the future of ranked-choice voting. The blog’s heating up lately, friends! More to come.
- Lessig and our Executive Director Jason Harrow each had op-eds about the future of the fight against gerrymandering, in, respectively, the Washington Post and USA Today.
- Our Campaigns Manager Adam Eichen wrote about democracy reform in the presidential primary for The Hill.
- Last, but not least, we’ve put up a really great resource page called POTUS1 that summarizes each candidate’s position on democracy issues and grades them. It’s a fantastic hub for some critical info. Check it out here.
Enjoy the summer.