EraNova is a small think tank with a big mission: showcasing the people who are pursuing an “impossible” goal: saving civilization from environmental, technological, and social suicide — our present course.
In spite of the daunting odds against success, these intrepid creators envision survival beyond a critical point of no return (2030-2050), and the dawn of a new era for humanity. We’re here to cheer them on and broadcast their solutions.
To help these creators maximize their efforts and hone their methods, we offer the Smart Green Deal™ (not to be confused with the Green New Deal).
For an in-depth description of the strategy, see this article:
Could an emerging megatrend, unnoted until now, save our future?
Broader than green initiatives, it offers a path around the AI Apocalypse and social decay as well as climate…
In brief, the Smart Green Deal is an action strategy for making good things happen fast; and it’s powerful for two reasons. First, it focuses on two big, related existential threats, not just one:
- The climate crisis, including all forms of pollution, that is making the planet uninhabitable. Estimated deadlines for turning things around range from 2030 to 2050.
- The AI apocalypse, or “singularity,” when machine intelligence exceeds human intelligence, making humans “unnecessary” (from a mindless, dystopian point of view). Our deadline for avoiding this crisis is also 2030–2050, according to expert estimates.
The second reason the Smart Green Deal is powerful is this. It’s surprisingly synergistic through strategies that are —
- Double-green: green economically as well as environmentally. In attacking climate change, pollution, and conservation issues, priority is given to innovations that pay for themselves soon, in just a few years if not months or days, while reducing pollution and warming. To solve our problems fast, we can’t rely on do-good motives only. For strong, immediate action, billions of people need to be engaged, and for that to happen, they need to make or save money “now.”
- Double-smart: helping people and technology work smarter and get smarter together. The approach takes full advantage of artificial intelligence without displacing millions and making them feel irrelevant, disaffected, and sometimes violent. The double-smart strategy in fact leverages AI to help humans pursue super-human status — becoming more intelligent, connected, helpful and fulfilled than ever.
With the right priorities and planning, we can stay ahead of our AI creations because we will subsume them and guide them with our aliveness. We may even generate the “noosphere” or global consciousness predicted by Pierre Teilhard de Chardin.
The Smart Green Deal is also infinitely iterative: creating more and better solutions through accelerating cycles of innovations that seed endlessly new innovations. For example, imagine the fruits of the happy marriage of AI and human agency. Resistance to change would be turned into acceptance and enthusiasm, freeing cloud-connected minds to cure and create anything, ushering in an unprecedented future.
The Smart Green Deal is a non-political tool that can make a difference while making money in its own right, right now. It may also be used within the Green New Deal or other plans (whether conservative or liberal) — to make bold goals more reachable and ideological acceptable.
A private-sector “Smart Green Deal” that needs no political permission
The Smart Green Deal™ is double-green and double-smart … and requires no legislation. It’s a simple strategy anyone can…
Thee Smart Green Deal is “political” only in that it acknowledges and circumvents a basic cause of our political divide: economic interests skew our views and votes. People instinctively resist anything that threatens their pocketbooks or lives, often becoming fearful, deluded, desperate, impotent, and prone to aggression.
We get around that by supporting private and public-sector initiatives that minimize the pain of change. “Everybody wins” is the winning way and “We’re all in this together,” the winning spirit.
Unfortunately, the Smart Green Deal has a strong competitor, the Dumb Brown Deal. It’s —
- Double-brown: bad for the bottom line (ultimately) and the environment.
- Double-dumb: replacing bright, caring aliveness with dark, vacant efficiency that may ultimately serve no one.
To keep that from happening, we find and promote what the world needs now: double-green, double-smart enterprises, groups, services, innovations, and trends.
A few examples (many more to come):
The opportunity of our lifetime: Live longer better (not worse) … to 90, 100 or more in good shape
Living longer should be a resoundingly good thing, but many people fear it. Why? …
Insurance industry alert: Showbiz shows a better way to pay
A high-tech system transforming entertainment-industry payments is poised for wide use by insurance companies. It could…
In the Cloud, Our Buildings and We Can Fly — Toward a Smart, Green Life
Surprise! Most of our major buildings still run on paper, holding us back. Once they’re online, thanks to startups, we…
How a bitcoin rival could create a global supermoney
See our report in American Banker. Written in 2014, it forecast the rapid rise of Ripple — from obscurity to the…
Thinking NEW and BIG about infrastructure
Beyond just fixing old roads, bridges and buildings
Making long-term care insurance an employee benefit, like health insurance
See this article in Employee Benefit Advisor, based on the EraNova special report. And see the original special report…
Electronic network detects “connected consciousness”
The implications and applications could be vast
Surviving the great global brain drain
Special Report: What humans can do better than robots or AI
Mind Over Technology: Coming Out on Top as a Wired World Starts to Run on Automatic
Technology is moving into every area of our jobs and lives. It can do our boring work and let us live like kings, or…
Ask for the moon — and get it!
Do you have a big idea that could help millions? And could you use a hand getting it out there?
More about EraNova Institute
EraNova’s director, Dick Samson, has served as consultant to IBM, AT&T, and other leading organizations over decades. A futurist by inclination, his books include The Mind Builder, Creative Analysis, The Language Ladder, Mind Over Technology, and Highly-Human Jobs.
Published as Richard W. Samson as well as Dick Samson, his work has appeared in magazines ranging from Reader’s Digest to The Futurist; and he publishes online information hosted by Medium and Ning.
Samson runs EraNova with his wife, Suzanne, and calls upon a network of like-minded investigators and communicators.
Examples of services spanning decades
- IBM: We created a set of “compressed experienced” to help IBM’s managers accelerate the improvement in problem analysis and decision making that normally takes many years of ordinary experience.
- AT&T: In collaboration with General Magic, AT&T Labs, and Cisco Systems, we created early prototypes for mobile interaction; and interfaces for unified communication — helping lay a foundation for the Internet era.
- Hoffmann LaRoche: We created a “bright idea program” that not only motivated employees to make improvements, but prompted their minds in creative, practical directions. The program was credited with improving morale and saving millions of dollars.
- Pitney-Bowes: We reduced paperwork and improved productivity by creating a time-saving alternative to traditional call-reporting for sales personnel.
- Other organizations: We showed magazine editors and computer researchers how to apply “elements of thought” to complete their tasks more creatively and effectively … and developed weekly bulletins to foster “other-directed thinking” in service personnel and sales representatives …
Currently we are focusing on “smart-green” innovations in fields ranging from health insurance to artificial intelligence.
We are convinced that society has only 10 or 12 years to change course or all bets are off. We’d like to help everyone, but we have the bandwidth to help only a few pivotal players accelerate their high-tech, green-leaning contributions — in turn helping everyone.
NOTE: We are registering Smart Green Deal to prevent others from registering it for narrow purposes. We welcome free use of it by anyone promoting smart, green goals. EraNova need not be credited as the source. References and links are appreciated, however; they help us do our part while connecting you with like-minded innovators.
In development: a description of key transformations that all need to happen if we are to survive today’s existential threats. This 2016 article, revised in 2017, is already out-of-date and now being revised:
Spectacular “super future” possible thanks to 5 supertrends and a meta-supertrend
by Richard W. Samson
dicksamson @ eranova.com
# # #