Building long-term resilience by eliminating our carbon impacts and fostering responsible resource use.
We have developed an impact strategy that reflects the positive economic, social, and environmental impact we want to have on the world while advancing and complementing our business strategy. Since announcing our impact strategy in 2017, we have updated some of our goals to be more specific, measurable and time bound. We expect to continue to evolve our impact strategy in the future as we grow and our impact work matures. In August 2019, we finalized our acquisition of Reverb, the leading global online marketplace dedicated to buying and selling new, used, and vintage musical instruments, with a vibrant community of buyers and sellers all over the world. We are excited to continue to amplify our impact by harnessing the power of Reverb’s business and community.
Our ecological impact goal is to:
Build long-term resilience by eliminating our carbon impacts and fostering responsible resource use.
To advance this goal, we’ve set three sub-goals and targets where appropriate:
1. Achieve best-in-class sustainable operations by sourcing 100% renewable electricity, reducing the intensity of our energy use, and running zero waste operations.
- Source 100% of Etsy’s electricity from renewable sources by 2020.
- Achieve a 25% reduction in the intensity of Etsy’s energy use by 2025.
- Maintain a 90% waste diversion rate across global operations.
2. Run a carbon neutral business.
- Target: Offset 100% of measured Scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions.
3. Establish our marketplaces as destinations for sustainably-minded shoppers and conscious living.
- Target: By 2021, define a key performance indicator and establish a baseline for marketplace sustainability.
We’ll continue to keep our stakeholders informed on our progress, challenges, and learnings through this section of our Impact blog.