Analysis of Time Series Data— Lecture 02
In this lecture, we will study analysis of Time series data.
Step -01: Read data and make sure that you convert date column datatype to DateTime object.
data = pd.read_csv('airline-passenger-traffic.csv', header = None)
data.columns = ['Month','Passengers']
data['Month'] = pd.to_datetime(data['Month'], format='%Y-%m')
data = data.set_index('Month')
Step-02: Plot Time Series data
plt.title('Airline passenger traffic')
Observation from above graph:
- Traffic increasing year on year
- Pattern repeat after every year, follow summer → winter trend
- Some data is missing in year — 1951,1954 and 1960 and reason can be data capture issue or data was not recorded as the event did not occur. For example, if sales did not happen on x date may be due to some operational issues, the record entry of sales would be 0 on that particular date.
Step — 03: Handling Missing values
- Mean Imputation: Imputing the missing values with the overall mean of the data.
data = data.assign(Passengers_Mean_Imputation=data.Passengers.fillna(data.Passengers.mean()))
plt.title('Airline passenger traffic: Mean imputation')
Imputing the missing value with mean, median and mode can reduce the variance. Not suggested in Time Series data.
- Last observation carried forward: We impute the missing values with its previous value in the data.
data['Last_observation_carried_forward'] = data['Passengers'].ffill()
Imputing the missing value with the next observed value and last observed value can introduce bias in analysis and perform poorly when data has a visible trend.
- Linear interpolation: You draw a straight line joining the next and previous points of the missing values in the data.
data['Passengers_Linear_Interpolation'] = data.assign(Passengers_Linear_Interpolation=data.Passengers.interpolate(method='linear'))
To deal with missing values in time series data with trends is Linear interpolation as it imputes the missing value with the average of previous and next values.
Step — 04: Decomposition of Time Series
Meanwhile, Please feel free to clap if you liked the article. Also, please subscribe to my YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4yh4xPxRP0-bLG_ldnLCHA?sub_confirmation=1