● Balsam: For Priests, Kings and Everyday People
Balsam or balm has been very important since ancient times. Here are a few interesting facts.
- Balsam was an ingredient in the anointing oil of the Jewish priests.
- The Queen of Sheba brought balsam as a gift to King Solomon.
- Ishmaelites were traders who sold slaves, spices, myrrh and balm (or balsam).
- Common names for the balsam tree are the balm of Gilead, balsam of Gilead, and balsam of Mecca.
- The Greek term balsamon means “fragrant oil”.
- Ancient Egyptians, Romans, Greeks, Arabs, and Turks all prized the balm of Gilead. But the fact is, it was precious and highly valued by everyone because of its healing qualities.