1. Sponsor: The Sponsor of this Contest is A Medium Corporation (“Medium”), located at 760 Market Street, San Francisco, CA 94102.
2. How to enter: This contest begins at 12:01 A.M. Pacific Time (PT) on March 24, 2014, and ends at 11:50 P.M. PT on May 19, 2014. To enter you must submit your essay online via Medium.com to the Extra Credit collection. Entries must be time-stamped on Medium.com no later than 11:50pm PT on May 19, 2014. Limit one entry per person. Medium is not responsible for lost, late, or incomplete entries; or entries not received for any reason.
3. Entries remain the sole property of the Entrant. By entering, Entrant warrants that his or her entry (1) is original and does not infringe the intellectual-property rights of any third party, (2) has not been published anywhere else, and (3) has not won an award. By submitting the essay into the contest, Entrant consents and gives authorization to Medium to publish the essay in any form (written or electronically) and for Medium to utilize the essay for publicity purposes.
4. Entrants’ essays will be publicly available, and the general public will be able to “read” and “recommend” the Entrants’ essays on Medium.com.
5. Selection of semi-finalists: On May 20, 2014, Medium will announce up to TWELVE (12) semi-finalists based upon Medium statistics such as “reads” and “recommends” received up until May 19, 2014 at 11:50pm PT. Incomplete and/or inaccurate entries and entries not complying with all rules are subject to disqualification. Decisions of Medium are final and binding. Semi-finalists will be announced via email and Medium.com after May 20, 2014.
6. Selection of winner: A panel of professional writers, including Anna Quindlen, Wally Lamb, Kelly Corrigan and Mary Roach, will read all of the semi-finalist essays. In the selecting of THREE (3) contest winners, the judges will consider criteria such as originality, creativity, ingenuity, and use of language. The winners will be announced on June 2, 2014 via e-mail and Medium.com. Decisions of the panel are final and binding, and at the panel’s sole discretion. The composition of the panel is subject to change at any time.
7. The THREE (3) winners will be publicly recognized at a reception on June 12, 2014 at the Medium corporate headquarters (760 Market Street, 9th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94102). Winners do not have to be present to claim prize. Transportation to and from the event is the responsibility of the Winners.
8. Prize description: The authors of the THREE (3) winning essays will each receive a $5,000 scholarship to the college of their choice. The prizes are awarded without warranty, express or implied, of any kind. THE PRIZES ARE NOT TRANSFERABLE. Prizes will be managed and distributed by ScholarMatch (www.scholarmatch.org). Scholarship money will be payable for up to four years from the date awarded. Money can be distributed to any eligible institution (including community colleges, private and public two- and/or four-year colleges, and trade schools) evenly over multiple years, or according to the student’s financial need and higher education plan. By submitting an entry, Entrants agree to cooperate with ScholarMatch as well as Medium for prize dispersal.
9. Eligibility: Open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia. Void where prohibited by law. Employees of Medium and its promotional partners and their respective parents, affiliates, and subsidiaries and participating advertising and promotion agencies (including members of their immediate family and/or those living in the same household of each such employee) are not eligible.
10. Conditions of participation: No transfer, assignment, or substitution of a prize permitted, except Medium reserves the right to substitute prize (or prize component) for an item of equal or greater value at Medium’s sole discretion. Nothing in these official contest rules shall obligate Medium to publish or otherwise use any entry submitted in connection with this Contest. All federal, state, and local laws and regulations apply. Entrants agree to be bound by the terms of these Official Rules and by the decisions of Medium, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Contest. By entering, Entrant represents that any essay, etc., and other materials submitted as part of Entrant’s contest entry are original and will not constitute defamation or an invasion of privacy or otherwise infringe upon the rights of any third party, and that the Entrant owns or has the rights to convey any and all right and title in such essay. In addition, by entering, Entrant grants to Medium a nonexclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license to edit, publish, promote, and republish at any time in the future and otherwise use Entrant’s submitted essay, along with Entrant’s name, likeness, biographical information, and any other information provided by Entrant, in any and all media for possible editorial, promotional, or advertising purposes, without further permission, notice, or compensation (except where prohibited by law). Potential Winner, as a condition of receiving any prize, also may be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, a Liability Release, and, where legally permissible, a Publicity Release and confirmation of a license as set forth above within 7 days following the date of first attempted notification, certifying, among other things, the following: (a) entry does not defame or invade the privacy of any party; (b) entry does not infringe upon the rights of any third party; and (c) the essay and other materials submitted are original and have never been published and entry has never won an award. Failure to comply with this deadline may result in forfeiture of the prize and selection of an alternate winner. Return of any prize/prize notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner.
Acceptance of the prize constitutes permission for Medium and its agencies to use Winner’s name and/or likeness, biographical information, essay, and other materials submitted for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law. By entering and/or accepting prize, Entrants and Winners agree to hold and assign Medium and its promotional partners, directors, officers, and employees harmless for liability, damages, or claims for injury or loss to any person or property, relating to, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, participation in this Contest, the acceptance and/or subsequent use or misuse or condition of any of the prizes awarded, or claims based on publicity rights, defamation, or invasion of privacy. False or deceptive entries or acts will render the Entrant ineligible. Medium, in its sole discretion, reserves the immediate and unrestricted right to disqualify any entrant or prize winner, if either commits or has committed any act or has been involved or becomes involved in any situation or occurrence which Medium deems likely to subject Medium, Entrant, or Winner to ridicule, scandal, or contempt or which reflects unfavorably upon Medium in any way. If such information is discovered by Medium after a winner has received notice of his/her prize and before the prize is awarded, Medium may rescind the prize in its entirety. If a portion of his/her prize has already been awarded, Medium may withdraw the remainder of the prize that has been fulfilled. Decisions of Medium are final and binding in all matters related to this paragraph. Medium is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the contest, or in the announcement of the prize.
11. Internet: Medium is not responsible for lost or late entries nor for electronic-transmission errors resulting in omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of entry materials, or for technical, network, telephone-equipment,electronic, computer, hardware, or software malfunctions or limitations of any kind, or inaccurate transmissions of or failure to receive entry information by Medium or presenter on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website or any combination thereof. If for any reason the Internet portion of the program is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, Medium reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process and to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Contest. Medium reserves the right to select winners from eligible entries received as of the termination date. Caution: Any attempt by a contestant to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of the contest is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Medium reserves the right to seek damages from any such contestant to the fullest extent of the law. If there is a dispute as to the identity of the Entrant, the prize will be awarded to the authorized registered user of Medium.com. The “authorized registered user” is defined as the natural person to whom the Medium.com account is assigned.
12. Governing law: This Contest is governed by the internal laws of the State of California without regard to principles of conflict of laws. All cases and claims pertaining to this Contest must be brought in a court of competent jurisdiction in San Francisco County, without recourse to class-action suits.
13. Severability: If any provision of these Rules is found to be invalid or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction or appointed arbitrator, such determination shall in no way affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision herein.
14. Winner’s list: The names of the THREE (3) winners will be posted on Medium.com after June 2, 2014.