Thick Skull Profile
Course : Farming — Ancient Art Meets Modern World
Taught by: Britta Riley
- Scalability: I like to share my ideas with other farmers and grow high quality crops from each others’ learnings and experiences.
- Immediately Implementable: I like to be surrounded by plants so I prefer making something which is immediately implementable than futuristic.
- Grown by Hand: I’m a maker and I enjoy the gratification of successfully growing something with my hands.
- Personal: I prefer growing food for mine and my family’s needs. And I’m not very interested in commercialization as of yet.
- Close contact with crops: I aspire to form a psychological bond with my plants. Hence, I like to be in close contact with them.
- Fruit/Veg/Grain of Primary Interest: I’m a vegetarian by birth. And I don’t like cruelty towards conscious living beings.
- Low Environmental Impact: I’m trying to avoid practices that have hazardous effects on environment.
- Tastes Good: I want my produce to taste really good.
- Self-Grown: Though I like growing things by myself, sometimes I prefer eating foods growing by specialists in a local form.
- Modular: I lean towards modularity because it helps me plan and be more efficient.
- Observed: Just to be in constant contact with nature, I try to make my crops observed. But sometimes, it is better to seek some help from technology.
- Low Budget/ Unabashed: I consider myself beginner in farming so I try to optimize my costs and keep it low budget.
- Crop Diversity: Though in a limited number, I like growing a variety of crops. But if a specific plant is growing/not-growing very well, I’d definitely focus on that.
- Inputs & Outputs Ok: Like I said before, I like to spend time with nature, so definitely I’d love to respond to the plant’s needs and also stay healthy by eating fresh produce.
- NO GMO: I feel it is sometimes not really good to eat genetically modified food without knowing their implications well.
- Organic Growing Methods: I prefer using organic growing methods than using chemicals/ other techniques just to increase yield.
- For Art / Education / Activism or Pleasure: My interests fit in all the four categories. I see myself creating gardens/ sculptures for pleasure / education.
- Engaging: I like growing cacti ( requires less engagement )/ bonsai ( requires more engagement ) equally. So, I should say, I don’t have any special preference to grow only engaging plants.
- Nutrient Density: I think it actually depends on the need, I don’t have any specific focus on nutrient density right now.
- Fair Trade/ Labor Vs Standard Practice: I have little idea about this so I don’t have any preference right now.