18 Months of Training and All He Gave Me Was a…
My son isn’t quite old enough yet to have developed much of a vocabulary. But, I will say this has been one of the most exciting times for me as a dad. And I probably say that with each passing day, though. I love my son.
I really love the babbling conversations my son and I have that make absolutely no sense to anyone, but yet they do to us. You can feel the sprockets churning inside his head as his brain cells are working over time building up his vocabulary. While he hasn’t quite figured out how to speak many words, you can feel a giant word dump is not too far off in the future. I expect one of epic proportions, where so many words start coming out so fast you think you brought a human thesaurus into this world.
But, for right now, I enjoy having conversations that remind me of talking to old people who lost their teeth, or anyone too drunk to stand up, let alone talk at a bar. Each on very different ends of the spectrums of life, yet, they they all sound the same. The more you engage in the babble with him, the greater variance in sounds and syllables he spits out, and the more he sometimes sounds like Lou Pinella yelling at an umpire. It’s fun as well, to see how many different sounds I can get him to mimic from me. You can’t always do that with the old drunk guy at the bar. They just pass out. You also don’t accept their spit and drool on you, but you hopefully do from your own kid.
But, without further adieu, here are some of my favorite sounds, syllables, and words I have managed to get out of him (lots of repeating).
- “Row, row, row, row…”
- “Oooooohhhhh! “— envision Baby Lou Ferrigno or Mini Hulk
- “Dopey Dopey Dopey Dopey Dooo!!”
- “Doobie Doobie Doobie Doobie”
- “Cookie, Cookie, Cookie!” — C is for cookie and that’s good enough for me.
- Sometimes it sounds like “Wookie Wookie Wookie.” The Force must be strong with this one.
- “Bo Bo Bo Bo Bo Bo” — learning some simple bass lines I guess.
- “AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!” — Scream those alphabet sounds
- “EEEEEEEEEEEE!!” — Scream them some more
- “Bye, Bye!” — he leans into the wave and sounds sarcastic with it, like he’s saying “Bye, Felicia!” to you.
- Every one is a Baby. Well, a “Ba-by, Ba-by, Ba-by.”
- Every dog is a “Woof Woof!”
- He loves to say the “Nay Nay”.
- Lots of “Beep, Beep!” And he does so with a wave at trucks and Jeeps.
- Lastly, there is this pterodactyl sounding scream he does that breaks glasses.
I am excited to see what new noises he breaks out in the next few months. I can’t wait! I only wish I started writing about this sooner.
What are some of your favorite baby babbling moments? Or some of the dandiest things your little Jedi’s have said?