As social media has become the primary way for young people to discover brands and ideas, the effectiveness of traditional television/print/radio has fallen. Reaching people interested in your ideas on social media is hard — there are so many competing brands vying for their attention. Remarketing (aka retargeting) to audiences known to have an interest or relationship with you is one of the most effective ways to reach people who are most likely to engage with your brand.
While FEE’s marketing has historically been focused on personal referrals and “organic” growth, in 2016, we decided to focus on reaching new audiences and developing new marketing channels. Key to our plan is reaching new audiences on social media, using some tricks used by top ad agencies that are new to the nonprofit world. Typically, when organizations run ad campaigns — whether web, print, or radio — they target broad demographics. What FEE has been doing with great success is targeting individual people.
We use email lists and website retargeting data (including visitors to FEE.org and partner sites) to target people on social media who have already expressed some interest in liberty ideas. In other words, we match our visitors’ browsing behavior to their Facebook profiles, and show content targeted specifically to them. This gives us very high click-through rates compared to targeting broad demographics, resulting in costs as low as 2 cents per click.
If you are interested in reaching young people who care about free markets and liberty, would you consider trading Facebook audiences with FEE?
I’m not asking for your audience’s email or any personally identifiable information. Custom audiences are the aggregate collection of social media profiles which can be used to show Facebook posts and ads to individual users based on emails or website activity. This data is created by creating a custom audience in Facebook from an email list and/or adding a tracking code to your site. We would be sharing Custom Audiences as described byFacebook here.
Why would you want to share Facebook audiences?
- It doesn’t cost you anything, and your audience is never individually identified.
- You can share both email list (FEE has 100K active emails) and web audiences (about 700K Facebook users per month.)
How to get started:
- If you already have targeting data via Facebook custom audiences and are ready to share it, we can exchange email and web audiences immediately. FEE’s account ID is 25217845.
- If you want to proceed with sharing custom audiences but don’t know how to get started, get in touch with me and my team will guide you.
- If you want to know how custom audiences and retargeting works, I can sharesome resources with you.
- Feel free to reach out to me if you are interested in a general discussion of how FEE has grown traffic 3X in two years and 2X within the past year using innovative remarketing strategies.
P.S. In addition to sharing audiences, we also share content, with video cross-posting.