Ferdi Z.’s Drawings Newsletter — Issue 010, June 2021
This week I completed, and published to Instagram, three drawings within the space of 24 hours. Three in a single day because I had other things occupying most of my productive time, including one for-pay graphics job (yay!). Good week, yes.
This week’s drawings
Eye on a TV
I made a sketch of this on Monday, but I didn’t really get to work on it until Saturday. I caught by ear someone saying, “I have eyes on a TV”, implying that they want to buy a TV or something (maybe). And so I thought myself clever by imagining an eye displayed in close-up on a flat-screen LCD TV.
I had a bit more ambition with this when I began sketching it out on Wednesday. Googled some pictures of marijuana flowers to guide my detailing. I ended up cutting my efforts short by just thickening what pencil sketch I had at the time on Saturday and just using the picture I copied of the Internet (with a bit of doctoring) into the coloring of the “marijuana face”. I also thought of using some other color for the suit, maybe traditional black, but I just wound up leaving the whole get-up white. It kind of works, I think?
Oh and an Indonesian celebrity was arrested for marijuana possession this week. I will disclose that I am increasingly against the criminalization of marijuana & cannabis, and it would be better imho for the plant & smoked-substance to be regulated in a way similar to tobacco and alcohol.
Putting on rubber gloves
There was a crisis of rubber gloves last week. A scarcity. Or a scandal of some sort. The precise details escape me but the news did made me think about rubber gloves.
Links and Miscellaneous
So yeah I had a bit of paid work this week and I’m glad it didn’t interrupt with my weekly drawings. I had prepared to not draw/publish anything today but I’m glad I proved to myself that I could (kinda-sorta) do three drawings in a day. This newsletter came late though, and it even published with errors (lol). This online version, and the version at Medium, is more polished I think? Maybe? I hope? Anyways that’s that.
Links to news etc.
- US Senate votes to make Juneteenth a holiday — BBC News, June 16th
- Reality Winner released from prison — Reuters, June 14th
- Is America finally rethinking its disastrous, racist, ineffectual, and deadly War on Drugs? — NPR via Jason Kottke
- The youth of China are fed up with chasing success and choose to ‘lie down’ in defiance of pressure from societal competition — BBC News, June 14th
- Trees migrate. This scientist shoots them to understand how — Verge Science on YouTube, June 2nd
My socials etc.:
- Twitter: @f_fz
- Instagram: @ferdiz_draw
- Ello: ello.co/FerdiZ
- Mastodon: @FerdiZ@mastodon.cloud
- Diaspora: joindiaspora.com/u/ffz
- Medium: ferdifz.medium.com
- Personal WordPress.com blog: minddumpster.wordpress.com
If you’re reading this on the Web (at Revue or at Medium), please consider sending me feedback by hitting me up at my socials. Or optionally you can also subscribe to this newsletter and reply by email. It would really encourage me & help me grow my editorial & current-affairs drawings & illustration skills to get feedback. Thank you. 🙏