🤑 Shameless WE ARE HIRING promotional piece 🎉
The definitive list of openings at Applied, October 2018
As anyone following us on Twitter probably knows (HINT: you can follow us here @beapplied) we have recently closed our seed round. In case you haven’t seen it, here is the news:
We built Applied with a remarkably simple mission:medium.com
The unit uses behavioural economics to influence the way people think and act, and while working there Ms Glazebrook…www.smh.com.au
London-based startup Applied has bagged £1.5M (~$2M) in seed funding for a fresh, diversity-sensitive approach to…techcrunch.com
If you’re reading this and you’re still thinking, “Okay, who even are these people?” Let me tell you a story…
Hiring (and being hired) is one of the most important things we do, but humans are frankly terrible at it. We look for the wrong things, we’re biased, and we don’t follow the data.
Applied is here to fix that. We’re passionate about hiring the best person for the job regardless of race, gender or whether you come from the wrong part of town, whether you’re not what they’re used to, or whether your dad plays golf with the CEO on weekends.
We help our customers hire with less bias, and greater precision. That makes them happy, but at the same time reduces social inequality… it’s a win-win.
Our approach combines behavioural science with product design to radically rethink how teams select talent, so that the best person gets the job every time, irrespective of their background… and we don’t even need to break out the AI to do it. (Don’t worry, AI evangelists, we’re considering your feelings and formulating behind the scenes.)
We’re just getting started, but so far we’ve helped fill 2,000 roles on 5 continents, from CIOs and lawyers to refugees and disaster response workers, for great companies like Penguin and Hilton, great charities like Wellcome Trust and ActionAid, as well as government departments in the UK and around the world. You can read about us in the New York Times, Harvard Business Review, TechCrunch and New Scientist.
Our sights are set much higher, and so it goes without saying that we need your help!
We need passionate, capable and empathetic people to take our company to the next level. If this sounds like you, or someone you know, have a look at our range of openings below.
Who are we looking for?
At Applied, we’re not looking for what a piece of paper said you achieved, we’re more interested in what takeaways you can bring to the table from your experiences. Everyone who has had a hand in building our platform has brought their own unique experiences; some of us didn’t have a degree, most of us didn’t take advanced studies in the role we’re currently focused on, some of us have lived corporate lives, some of us almost became stage performers. All of us are passionate about learning from our experiences to create the best workplace and product that we can.
So, it goes without saying that we’re open to candidates wherever they’ve derived their skill and passion for our roles.
We’re looking for people who are impatient to deliver and keen to get involved — full of ideas, energy, and an ability to inspire and support the growth of a team around them.
If you thrive on learning, are data-driven (but comfortable making decisions in conditions of uncertainty), have empathy and grit, then we think you’ll love working with us. We can’t wait to meet you!
TL;DR — These are the JOBS we are hiring for
We really don’t care about CVs 🔥 🚮 🌚
Our application process typically involves 1) your thoughtful responses to up to 5 well-scoped, actual problems that we care about at Applied, and 2) interviews (phone/video, and/or in person). (The first section cuts through the BS of updating your CV + an “is this person even real?” phone interview or “what are your interests?” chat with a recruiter.)
Yes, that’s literally two high-value sections! You will not be made to sit through endless rounds or random things; we care about your time as much as we hope you care about ours.
We need a strategic, team-driven, and passionate Product Lead to help guide us to making Applied a wonderful experience for everybody that uses it: hiring managers, reviewers and applicants…app.beapplied.com
We’re looking for someone creative, curious, and user-focused to work with the team in improving our platform and, more than engineering, someone passionate about leaving the world just a little better than they found it…app.beapplied.com
At Applied, meaningful insights from data inform not only our product innovation, but every part of the customer experience, and is vital to our growth. We're looking for someone curious, analytical and compassionate to take the reins and focus on the team's ever-growing data needs…app.beapplied.com
We're looking for a passionate Senior Growth Marketer to join Applied's team. You'll be working directly with the executive team to take control of our brand and voice, helping to define the marketing strategy and building out the marketing team…app.beapplied.com
This exciting role will provide you with a rare chance to expand the customer service and experience functions. You'll be an early member of a fast-frowing, high energy startup right at the point of acceleration…app.beapplied.com
Some of the benefits of working with us include:
- equity in the business, and open and fair pay,
- work flexibility by default,
- interesting and inclusive socials that do not depend on (but can optionally have some) alcohol,
- the option to be to be engaged in other aspects of growing our business, from strategy, management and training 🕴to shaping team culture, or even contributing to our tongue-in-cheek Twitter feed 📲
- a budget for devices (e.g. Macbooks or Intel Core i7 PCs, keyboards, screens, etc), 💻 🖥
- a budget for employee health / wellness, and continuous learning 🧘♀🧘♂️
- a communal book library 📖🤓
- communal indoor plants 🌵🍀
- 👈 the opportunity to model our Undisputed Talent Tech Rising Champion boxing belt. 🥊 lol just kidding 💪
Tell me more about the culture at Applied!
Company culture is really important, and we take a very mindful approach to this. You can read more about our ethos (with graphics) on our About page, but here is the short version:
- We have a loose philosophy that everyone has 100 points of talent. Some people have figured it out, most of us haven’t and are still discovering them. At Applied, everyone should have an opportunity to deploy what talents they know they have, and explore new ones.
- A wise person once told us that the only real metric that matters for deciding who to work with is talent over ego. We like that, but being believers in ‘growth mindsets’, we’d add hard work to the numerator. The bigger the ratio of talent and hard work over ego, the better.
- We’re a platform built off the back of research, from insights born out of someone’s desire to find out what works. We work to carefully design tools, content and interactions that we think will work. We then analyse and test these assumptions till we can break them. While lots of time and effort will go into design, we end up with a bias for analytics and empiricism.
- Our biggest fear is that everything we do exists only on our computer screens, we want everybody at Applied to create and distribute as much learning as possible. Whether that’s with each other, or with the wider community, we value knowledge sharing immensely.
Here is how it works in real life:
Well, that’s all for now. Hopefully, you’ve enjoyed this shameless promotional piece about us and the fact that WE ARE HIRING.
See you next time (or AT THE INTERVIEW — apply now)! 👋
More about who you’ll be working with is on our site below.