Note: Since 2016, Fireside has been commissioning a report on the state of representation of Black authors within the speculative short fiction market, and accompanying essays. See each year’s #BlackSpecFic Report at firesidefiction.com/blackspecfic.
A Fireside Fiction Company special report
- Report: Antiblack Racism in Speculative Fiction
- Numbers: Full spreadsheet with underlying data
- Editorial: Fiction, We Have a Problem: It’s Racism by Brian J. White
- Essay: Boldly Going Nowhere by Tobias Buckell
- Essay: Two Percent by Justina Ireland
- Essay: Opportunity Lost by Mikki Kendall
- Essay: Ones and Twos and Rarely Threes by Nisi Shawl
- Essay: Speculative Antiblackness by Troy Wiggins
- Essay: We Are Writing the Future
- Interview: N.K. Jemisin
- Response: Blogs, tweets, and news coverage related to #BlackSpecFic
Help us do more work like this
Fireside spent nearly $1,000 producing this report, all of it going to the various writers involved. We are happy to pay for it, but if you can help us offset the cost, it will allow us to do more nonfiction work about the speculative fiction field in the future. You can make a one-time contribution via Paypal, or a set up a recurring monthly contribution on Patreon.