FlakPhoto Digest #18 — Photographing Time • Pokemon Go • Thunder Road • The Kodakery
Visual culture for curious minds / July 22, 2016
Hey Photo Peeps! Not sure about you but I’ve been spending way too much time following RNC coverage this week so looking forward to diving deep into some non-political material this next few days…
Big news in my world was the announcement of our Aaron Siskind Foundation Individual Photographer’s Fellowship grant recipients. I get asked to jury things like this from time to time and this one was a particular thrill — got to meet a hero of mine, Vince Aletti, which was really fun. Great guy (read more about him in the 10 things section below). Check these artists out when you have a sec. And if you aren’t already familiar, hop over to the Siskind Foundation website for a look. (You can find them on Twitter too.) It’s cool to see photographers getting the support they deserve. Congrats!
One of my goals is to make it easier for imagemakers to connect with quality photo opportunities — to get their work seen, to experience a unique artist residency, and generally up their creative game. So I’m going to start sharing calls for entry/applications here from time to time. I’m always looking for opportunities with low barriers to entry, low or no entry fees, etc. and will prioritize those whenever possible. Goal is to keep you current on the cool stuff happening out there in Photoland. Check it:
- Open Call — Group Show #50 ‘Roid Rage: Polaroid Photography Since Instagram
- Clarence John Laughlin Award open for Submissions
- Firecracker Photographic Grant 2016
Naturally, share with photo/arts friends. If you’re promoting an exhibition call, arts residency, grant, or other creative opportunity, email me email@example.com with a link and I’ll consider it for broadcast here.
Finally, did you know that Kodak has a podcast? This week’s episode explores George Eastman’s early life. Listen up!
That’s all for now — I’m still finding my way with this new format and love hearing your feedback. If you feel like it drop me a line with your reaction. FlakPhoto Digest is made for sharing so, if you like what you see here, please share this post with your friends. And, if you’re on Medium, you can recommend this story by touching the heart at the bottom of this post so more people will see it. Happy Weekend! 🤓
10 Things I’m reading this week
- Vince Aletti: Curator, Collector, Writer Extraordinaire — Glitterati
- ’Pokemon Go’ is a work of art, not a social experiment — LA Times
- New York Photographs 1968–1978 — The Paris Review
- Curating Internet Art, Online and IRL — Observer
- Robert Capa and the Spanish Civil War — Magnum Photos
- Earning From Instagram Without Being A Shill — DigitalRev
- Walker Evans: “Drive-By Pictures — ASX
- Photographing Time — Nautilus
- Behind the Video: the Sundance-winning short ‘Thunder Road’ — Vimeo
- Ben Alper: Landscape as Crime Scene — Humble Arts Foundation
PS: I’m sharing photo/arts links on Twitter every day @FlakPhoto
Are you on the list? Subscribers see this first.
FlakPhoto Digest is a weekend reader: something you can spend time with when the work week slows down — an opportunity to sit back and relax with a handful of photo/arts links on your mobile or tablet. Goal is to give you something to enjoy over a hot cup of coffee (or tea) when you have a moment by yourself. It’s the perfect thing for a lazy Sunday morning.
How it works: I post these dispatches here on Medium and drop you a line with an email so you know it’s ready to read. Simple as that. Interesting? Let’s connect.