Hello from sunny Kyiv!
🌤 Summer came to an end, so it’s time to share what’s happened in the iOS community in the last 3 months. We’ll discover new iOS tools, interesting reports, and iOS guides.
Tools & resources & news
- I released an insightful report on the design industry. It shares how the top design players, Sketch, InVision, Figma, and Marvel build online communities. And it’s very nicely designed (we spent a lot of time to bring it to live, please check it out).
- Our Ukrainian friends are happy to share AppSpector, a remote debugging platform for iOS and Android apps. Looks very cool, give it a try!
- If you missed announcements from Dave Verwer: the SwiftPM Library, a place to find packages for Swift, is live 🎉
10 most read iOS articles this summer
- 😈 Will Combine kill RxSwift? by MortyMerr
Combine framework was presented at WWDC 2019. Let’s talk about whether something changed in our lives.
- 💎 Beautiful Code Principles by Pavle Pesic
Beautiful code is clean, well-organized and simple to upgrade. Follow 8 simple principles to write beautiful code in your iOS apps.
- 🚲 You don’t (always) need [weak self] by Besher Al Maleh
Besher covers the use of
[weak self]inside of Swift closures to avoid reference (or retain) cycles, and explores cases where it may or may not be necessary to capture self weakly.
- 🤔 How can Property Wrappers and Function Builders be leveraged? by Vincent Pradeilles
Get the most from new Swift 5.1 features — Property Wrappers & Function Builders.
- 🛠 Problem Solving with Combine Swift by Arlind Aliu
Combine has simple asynchronous code, simplified multithreading, compassable components. Learn its essentials and see what practical problems we can solve with it.
- 🙈 “Massive” View Controllers or bad coding style? by Besar
Besar clarifies some misconception concerning MVC, where some developers intent to put all the logic on ViewControllers.
- 🤔 Will Storyboards still be alive? by Nabil Kazi
Dive into Storyboard pros & cons and learn the long term benefits that Storyboard gives.
- ⏳ iOS Memory Management in Under 6 Minutes by Hassan El Desouky
Everything you should know about ARC in old good Objective-C.
- 💎 Using Sky Segmentation to create stunning background animations in iOS by Eric Hsiao
Take a look at how to use Fritz Sky Segmentation on iOS to bring the sky to life in pictures and video frames.
- 💻 A Modular Architecture in iOS by Leandro Pérez
Create a modular architecture using Cocoapods and Xcode.
Thanks for reading!