The Fn Serverless Project is Now Available
We are very excited to announce our new open source, cloud agnostic, serverless platform — Fn.
The Fn project is a container native serverless platform that you can run anywhere —on any cloud or on-premise. It’s easy to use, supports every programming language, and is extensible and performant.
We’ve focused on making it really easy to get started so you can try it out in just a few minutes and then use more advanced features as you grow into it. Check out our quickstart to get up and running and deploying your own function in a few minutes.
The Fn Project is being developed by the same team that created IronFunctions. The team pioneered serverless technology and ran a hosted serverless platform for 6 years. After running billions of containers for thousands of customers, pre and post Docker, the team has learned a thing or two about running containers at scale, specifically in a functions-as-a service style.
Now at Oracle, the team has taken this knowledge and experience and applied it to Fn.
Fn has a bunch of great features for development and operations.
- Easy to use command line tool to develop, test and deploy functions.
- One dependency: Docker.
- Hot functions for high performance applications.
- FDK’s (Function Developer Kit) for many popular languages.
- * Advanced Java FDK with JUnit test framework.
- * Lambda code compatibility — export your Lambda code and run it on Fn.
- Deploy Fn with your favorite orchestration tool such as Kubernetes, Mesosphere and Docker Swarm.
- Smart load balancer built specially for routing traffic to functions.
- Extensible and modular, enabling custom add-ons and integrations.
The project is available on GitHub today at: https://github.com/fnproject/fn
We welcome your feedback and contributions to help make Fn the best serverless platform out there. It’s an open project with an Apache 2.0 license, so use it however you wish!