Breakfast Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Prep : 10 minutes.
Cooking time : 10 minutes.
Total cook time : 20 minutes.
So this recipe is something I came up with. I’m not sure its an original recipe because I’ve seen similar variations on various websites. But it was an idea I had one Sunday morning. I was going to have my regular eggs , sausages and a cup of hot tea for breakfast. I found a little leftover mozzarella and cheddar in the fridge as i went to get the eggs and then it just hit me. Why not combine them all into a dish. I was initially going to make a cheese omelette, but then decided to try a grilled cheese sandwich instead(I still don’t know why. Probably because I had bought one from a friend’s stand at a food exhibition not too long before that faithful day. Or something along those lines). So yeah I went ahead to do it and it came out great. I enjoyed it so much i made it for a friend one morning when we had agreed to have breakfast at his place. His reaction to the meal is why I decided to share this recipe with you guys. Hopefully it lights up your day also. Lets get into the ingredients.
- Sliced Bread
- Chicken Franks / Beef Sausages
- Mozzarella And Cheddar Cheese
- Butter / Margarine
- Green Bell Pepper
- Crack an egg into a greased pan on medium heat and allow it to fry for about a minute or until the albumen sets. While waiting chop up your onions and green pepper and sprinkle them in the center of the frying egg.
- After the egg sets, flip the egg and allow to fry for literally 30 seconds. Using a spatula, transfer the egg to a plate and set aside. Add the sausages/francs into the pan and fry for 2–4 minutes. Take your pan off the heat and allow the francs/ sausages to rest in the pan.
- Grate the two cheeses(To help make the melting process easier and faster). I like to mix the grated cheeses so that every bite is a bit unique. Now cut your cooled sausages/ francs along the cross-section so that you have disc shaped sausages/francs.
Each sandwich takes a single sunny side up egg so fry as many eggs as the number of sandwiches require. Typically a serving is 2–3 sandwiches per person.
- Place a non stick pan on medium heat and leave it to heat up. Place one slice of bread on a clean, flat and dry surface. Place a fried egg on it and then randomly place the disc shaped sausages/francs on the egg.
- Now pile about one table spoon of the mixed grated cheese on the bread, egg and sausage base and cover with a second slice of bread.
- Gently press the upper slice of bread down to compact the assembled sandwich. Spread the upper slice with butter/ margarine and place that side into the now hot pan.
- Allow the sandwich to fry for 4–5 minutes or till golden brown. While waiting, spread the now top layer the same way you did with the previous slice. Cook till both sides are golden brown.
- Transfer the sandwich from the pan to a dry flat top and cut diagonally to reveal that gorgeous cross-section of egg, sausage and cheese. Serve with any beverage you enjoy.