Green Onion and Ginger Lobster Recipe
By Peter Yuzhou
I grew up in northeast China. That is a place kind of far from sea. It is hard to eat live seafood very often for people who are living there. Only on some very important day, we could cook a live seafood. Green onion and ginger lobster is my favorite dish. When I was at home, my grandmother always the one cook for us. Now, I am here in US along, I learned it and cook it for myself. Every time I cook this dish here, I can remember that my whole family get together on new year eve, celebrate the coming of the New Year. I have missed four years family gatherings. Beside eat lobster with family, when we have a very important guest, we will cook or order a lobster.
One 2 pound or two 1 pound live lobsters;
1 big piece ginger cut into slices, not too thick;
2 or 3 green onions cut into 2-inch pieces;
1 clove garlic, crushed;
2 tablespoons cooking wine (it is the best if you know what is shaoxing cooking wine);
About 1L oil for deep fry, and another 2 tablespoons oil for later use;
100ml Chicken broth;
1 tablespoon salt;
1 tablespoon sugar;
1 tablespoon cornstarch;
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour;
1/2 tablespoon soy sauce (if you like soy sauce better, put less salt);
Fresh ground white pepper (optional)
- Rinse the lobster, and hold it belly up. At the bottom of the tail, there is a small opening, stick a long skewer (like a chopstick) in it to drain any urine left in its’ body, then rinse it again. Crack the tail off, chop the tail and claws into small pieces.
- Sprinkle cornstarch and all purpose flour. Please, try to make each piece with a thin powder.
- Heat the pan and put 1L oil into the pot. Take a chopstick into the oil. If there are a lot of bubbles to take up, that means the oil temperature is high enough.
- Drop the lobster into the pot a couple pieces at a time for about 15–20 seconds. Remove to a sheet pan or put on kitchen towel to drain. The shells should turn red almost instantly.
- Mix together the chicken broth, soy sauce, cornstarch and sugar until well blended.
- Start with a clean cast iron wok over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil to the wok, along with ginger and garlic. Let them fry for about 25–35 seconds. Pour on the cooking wine, and immediately cover it for 5–10 seconds.
- Put lobster into the wok with green onions, fry for 1–2 minutes. Add that mixture in the wok, add some salt, and ground white pepper if you want to. Stir-fry until the mixture becomes thick.
- Serve! You can try to reorganize pieces back to a whole lobster when you serve. In this way, you need cut your lobster in bigger pieces.
Healthy Green Onion and Ginger Lobster Recipe (Laoban Lobster)
1 big piece ginger cut into thin slices;
2 green onions cut into 2-inch pieces, and cut those pieces into thin slices; 1 or
2 tablespoons olive oil;
1/2 tablespoon white vinegar;
1/4 tablespoon pepper oil;
1 or 2-liter ice water
(better have ice in the water to keep the temperature at 0）
- Like original recipe, when you crack the tail off, is the trickiest part. You need to get all raw meat out from shell. Finally, cut all raw meats in small pieces.
- Put raw meats into pot with boiling water piece by piece for only 5 seconds (meat turns red and gets harder), quickly get meat out with a wire strainer, and put them into ice water. Keep all meats in the ice water until we need them later.
- Take a bowl, mix together cooking wine, salt, sugar, white vinegar and soy sauce until well blended.
- Heat a pan with 1 or 2 tablespoons olive oil, put gingers in it. Let them fry for about 25–35 seconds. Add the mixture and green onions. Also, add 100ml drinking water. Stir for 1–2 minutes until you see the mixture become boiling. Turn off the heat, drop everything into a bowl and put it in the fridge to cool down for about 1 hour.
- Take out lobster meat and put on kitchen towel to drain. Then place all meats in a glass plate (for best out looking purpose). Take out our source in the fridge, pour on the source and add 1/4 tablespoon pepper oil, mix everything in the plate.