Professional Development Notes
Notes & references prepared for my presentation at The Foundation Center, New York, March 31, 2015
- My bio
- My work @ Foossa (current professional practice)
- My Behance portfolio (catchall that includes previous creative works)
- Live the question(s).
- Take calculated small incremental risks. Approach risks as “projects” or “experiments.”
- Find the throughline or common theme that connects disparate experiences. How do you connect the dots in life’s choose-your-own-adventure story?
- Document, Document, Document. Start with blogging here on Medium. Tumblr or Wordpress are also good places to start. Document your process, your challenges, your failures. Show your work. Having good quality photographs and/or video of your work is also good for portfolio building.
- Leave things imperfect, so other people can engage, participate, and make it better.
- Have a creative outlet, side project, side hustle, something different from your main career. Mine is capoeira.
- Be(come) a T-shaped person/professional.
My Media Consumption
- I get news/articles mostly through my media channels: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn — learn to be a curator, engage with content, and build community
- Stanford Social Innovation Review
- Fast Company
- Manage the stream of information by using Pocket or Evernote to save articles to read later.
- Social Good Guides by various authors. I wrote the Intro to Strategy guide
- I Have a Strategy (No You Don’t) by Howell Malham Jr.
- Without Their Permission: How the 21st Century Will Be Made, Not Managed by Alexis Ohanian
- Steal Like An Artist & Show Your Work by Austin Kleon
- The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg
- Wisdom Hackers (Preview my chapter here on Medium)