Top 3 Toothbrushes for Receding Gums
Receding gums is a condition whereby the gums pull away from the tooth, which makes the tooth look longer since more of the tooth is exposed.
Top causes of receding gums include:
- Buildup of plaque and/or poor brushing habits
- Tooth grinding or clenching
- Gum Disease
- Applying excessive pressure when brushing the teeth
To care for receding gums, you need to make sure you optimize your daily oral care routine to prevent the gums from further receding and to keep your gums and teeth in good health.
You can ensure you have a great daily oral care routine by following a diligent oral care routine which should inclulde the following:
- Flossing: Cleaning between the teeth with floss. To learn about the different types of flossing options available out there, check out our Medium article Master The Skills of Flossing for a Stunning Smile — Forever Young
- Rinsing: using an antiseptic rinse 2x daily. Rinsing helps flush out plaque that brushing and flossing may have left behind, and helps protect your gums from bacteria.
- Brushing your teeth with a soft toothbrush at a 45 degree angle toward the gum line. When brushing your teeth, tilt your toothbrush at 45 degree angle towards the gum line, then, move the toothbrush in a circular motion as you brush. Follow our guide below to pick the best toothbrush for your needs and condition.
The first thing to note, is that you probably don’t want to use a traditional electric toothbrush if you’re suffering from receding gums. Most people already put too much pressure and brush too hard which can cause gum recession in itself, and using an electric toothbrush can exacerbate the pressure you’re putting on your teeth and gums. So it’s best to opt for a soft bristled manual/traditional toothbrush if you have receding gums.
Technique® Sensitive Care combines the unique, patented Quad-Grip® handle, the clinically proven Dome Trim® bristle design with the ultra-soft bristles that are gentle on gums but very effective on removing plaque. The Quad-Grip® handle helps you brush at the proper angle for optimal cleaning. Technique® Sensitive Care toothbrush with its ultra soft-bristles are ideal for those who brush too hard, have gum recession or sensitivity
The FOREO ISSA Hybrid is an electric toothbrushe made from high grade, super hygienic silicone, ideal for gentle brushing, cleaning and massaging of your gums — their flexible, non-abrasive silicone bristles prevent the application of too much pressure on the gums, so you can brush and clean them without causing them any damage. Specifically engineered to utilize the soft gentle silicone bristles for the gum area, the ISSA Hybrid also integrates PBT polymer bristles with hygienic properties superior to standard nylon bristles on the inner segment of the brush head to cover the surface area of the teeth.
Both the The SCUBA® & The Original® are great soft bristle brushes. Not only are they accepted by the American Dental Association® for prevention of gingivitis and the removal of plaque, the RADIUS Original’s iconic design won it a spot in the permanent collection of the Smithsonian Institute National Design Museum.
The Radius’ wide oval brush head is designed to improve gum health by massaging the whole mouth. Its bristles are softer and uniquely aligned, providing even pressure that helps reduce chronic bleeding, receding gums and enamel erosion.
The American Dental Association recommends brushing teeth twice a day for two minutes using a fluoride toothpaste. Also, when brushing, the ADA recommends that people use a soft-bristled toothbrush and apply gentle pressure, both of which may help reduce the risk of gingival (gum) injury.
Work with your dentist to choose the best toothbrush for your needs, and no matter which toothrbush you choose, ensure that above all, you floss at least once every day, preferably before you go to bed.