An update for our community: We are moving to Slack 🚀
An update on our Vine Community migration
My name is Stephen Chapendama and I’m the Technology Manager at Foundervine. For those who don’t know, over the last 2 years, we have had a vibrant and an amazing community-led Whatsapp group where entrepreneurs and program graduates have been networking, creating and sharing all things entrepreneurship and business development.
It’s been amazing to see the community grow but with that growth came some challenges and as a team, we decided to address those challenges and find a solution.
The problems we were facing:
- Whatsapp only allowed us to have 256 members 🙃
- We have community members across multiple timezones, sometimes notifications came in a little too early for some, or a little too late 😴
- Everything is in a single stream, hard to pick out just events for example 🕵🏽♀️
- Whatsapp can be impersonal, we want to bring the community together 🤗
Whatsapp as a platform for organising and sharing is a great platform. But as numbers grew, we quickly started realising that, well, there’s a cap for how many users you can have. It can also be very easy to mute a Whatsapp group for a year and forget about it. So with this in mind, we started looking at alternatives!
What’s out there?
- Telegram — We looked at Telegram, and whilst it solved the issue of the community member count, it also remains a single stream of information which didn’t allow us to separate chats into different segments 😕
- Facebook Groups — The requirement of having an account can be a big blocker for some of our community members, whilst Facebook groups are great community hubs, for our community, we did not think it would be fit for purpose 😕
- Slack — As a team, we had recently migrated to using Slack internally and had also started utilizing Slack as a tool for our program delivery. We also asked our community via a survey what their thoughts were on Slack and it was a resounding show of support (which was a good sign) 🎊🥳🎊
Slack addressed many of the concerns our community had and also presented new opportunities for us to better serve our community. As a team, we have been working on this project to ensure we can guarantee a smooth user onboarding experience, an amazing support documentation effort from our team and also a community-driven approach to how we engage.
And the solution going forward 🤗
As such, I am pleased to announce that over the next coming weeks, we will be migrating our community over to Slack and bringing a new experience to the Vine Community.
As a team, we will be looking to ensure that our community always has a voice in the decisions we make and we are thankful to those who have helped us shape this new platform. Over a 4 week period, existing members of our Vine Community will be onboarded onto Slack and our team will also be accepting new applications into the Vine Community. Keep an eye in your inbox or subscribe to our newsletter to hear more!
We will officially be closing our Whatsapp group on 31/8/2020 and if you are looking to apply to be part of the Vine Community, you can find more information on our application process here.
- You can also subscribe to our newsletter here.
For those interested in becoming Vine Fellows, you can find out more about our Vine Fellowship here:
We’re building the greatest and most diverse community of digitally enabled businesses globally. Our plan over the next five years is to continue to grow a community just for you — one which connects you to people, networks and knowledge that you need to grow a successful venture. We look forward to you joining the Vine Community. Sign up for our newsletter here!