Turmeric Kesar Plant-Based Mylk
Ever since coronavirus wreaked havoc in the world the entire global community is going gaga over Indian spices like ginger and turmeric. The overall sale of these spices has also increased. Ministry of Ayush also suggest to drink golden milk as a precautionary measure against corona before going to bed. You can add kesar for more benefits and better taste.
But the problem is of milk. The dairy milk is not really a healthy choice for most adults and it includes a lot of animal cruelty as well. Moreover many people find it hard to digest conventional milk. Many people are lactose intolerant as well.
Hence, we can make this recipe more effective, healthier, easy to digest and cruelty-free by replacing milk with plant-based milk like coconut milk, oat milk, rice milk, soy milk.
Here is our blog on milk extraction of seven different types of plant-based milk.
3 gms of Turmeric and a few threads of Kesar (Saffron) with a glass of hot plant-based milk of your choice is an ideal drink before you go to bed. It is good for sleep, immunity and all the more effective in fighting corona.
Benefits of Turmeric
Indians have been using turmeric in their diet, cooking, and for medicinal purposes for ages. Now even conventional science is realising the wide range of benefits of turmeric. Turmeric contains compounds with medicinal properties called curcuminoids, the most important of these is curcumin.
Curcumin is the main bioactive ingredient in turmeric. Let’s see some benefits of turmeric.
- Anti Cancer Properties: Tumeric has been found to be effective in preventing and treating cancer. The anticancer potential of curcumin stems from its ability to suppress proliferation of a wide variety of tumour cells. The best part about turmeric is that it is not toxic even at high doses. Curcumin has been found to affect cancer growth, development and spread at the molecular level negatively [1, 2]. Studies have shown that curcumin can contribute to the death of cancerous cells and reduce the growth of new blood vessels in tumours and the spread of cancer.  There are numerous studies which have studied and found turmeric effective against cancer.
- Anti Inflammatory (Arthritis Treatment): Arthritis is a common problem these days especially in people of old age. Arthritis is the swelling and tenderness of joints. There are different types of Arthritis most of which involve inflammation in the joints. Curcumin has been found to be a potent anti-inflammatory compound. Curcumin was found to be even more effective than an anti-inflammatory drug, in a study on people with rheumatoid arthritis . There are many studies which have studied the impact of curcumin on arthritis and noted improvements in various symptoms [5,6].
- Lowers Risk of Heart Disease: As per WHO heart diseases are no 1 cause of death in the. Although, heart diseases are complicated still it has been found that curcumin can reverse many processes that lead to heart disease . Endothelial dysfunction is one of the major reason for heart diseases in humans. A large number of studies suggest that curcumin leads to improvements in endothelial function . Curcumin consumption reduces the risk of experiencing a heart attack .
- Anti Oxidant: Oxidative damage is said to one of the mechanisms behind ageing. Free radicals and highly reactive molecules with unpaired electrons react with important organic substances, such as proteins, fatty acids, DNA etc. Antioxidants protect our body from free radicals and that is why they are so beneficial. Curcumin is a potent antioxidant. It can neutralize free radicals due to its chemical structure. It also boosts the activity of the body’s own antioxidant enzymes [10, 11]. Hence, turmeric is a great antioxidant for the body.
- Promotes Longevity and Anti Ageing: Since, turmeric promotes anti-oxidation in the body, helps against cancer and heart diseases hence it naturally promotes longevity. Due to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidative properties, it is used in anti-ageing supplements as well.
- Promotes Mental Wellbeing: There are researches and studies which suggest that curcumin has insane benefits for people fighting depression. It has been found to be an effective anti-depressant. There are studies which have found some evidence that curcumin can boost the brain neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine .
This is just the tip of the iceberg. Turmeric has many other proven benefits like improved brain functions, fighting and preventing Alzheimer's, improving immunity, alleviating pain, fighting ulcers etc. Ayurveda has been using turmeric for preventing and treating a wide range of diseases since the Vedic era. Hence, the daily consumption of turmeric with plant-based milk is going to give you a lot of health benefits.
Benefits of Kesar (Saffron)
Kesar is a highly labour intensive crop and hence is a little costly but it has a wide range of health benefits and you just need to use a couple of threads in one glass of golden plant-based milk. Some of the proven benefits of Kesar are:
- Powerful Antioxidant: Notable antioxidants in Kesar include crocin, crocetin, safranal, and kaempferol. It has many compounds that act as potent antioxidants.
- Anti Depressant: Studies suggest that it acts as an antidepressant and brightens up the mood.
- Alleviates PMS symptoms: Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) is physical, emotional, and psychological symptoms occurring before the start of a menstrual period. Studies suggest that saffron may help treat PMS symptoms.
- Reduces Appetite and Aids Weight Loss: Eating in between the meals is a common habit. This habit of snacking is one of the primary reasons for weight gain. Studies have shown that saffron supplements suppressed the snacking need in women and aided weight loss.
Kesar is also associated with lowering the risk of heart disease, cancer, improves mood, brain function, eyesight. It is also a potent aphrodisiac.
Overall Tumeric with a couple of threads of Kesar with the plant-based milk of your choice is an excellent drink to drink before going to bed. It would not only help you fight COVID-19 but would also help you live a healthier life overall. The plant-based milk (Soy, Coconut, Almond, Cashew) would also bring nutritional value to the drink.
You can buy instant
Subscribe to our Telegram group for latest vegan recipes and experiments you can try out at home.
Wait Wait Wait!!
If you really liked the article, click the👏 below, and share it with your friends too. Follow our publication for the upcoming blogs.
We will get back to you soon. :)