Let’s Get Quizzical
Test your knowledge about the British Commonwealth
1.How many countries does the British Commonwealth exist of? (May 2016)
2. Out of 30% world’s population living in the British Commonwealth, how many are aged under 30?
3. Which values does the Commonwealth represent?
A. Democracy, Human rights & the rule of Law
B. Egalitarianism, Individual Liberty & Good Governance
C. Free Trade, Multilateralism & Self-Government
4. In which year did the Victorian Age end?
5. Which nation was suspended from the Commonwealth in 1995?
6. Who was named Empress of India?
A. Queen Elizabeth II
B. Queen Elizabeth I
C. Queen Victoria
7. Which was the last country to leave the Commonwealth?
A. Zimbabwe, in 2002
B. Gambia, in 2013
C. Fiji, in 2009
8. Every four years the Commonwealth Games are being held. Where did the first Games take place?
A. Hamilton, Canada
B. Welington, New Zealand
C. Glasgow, Scotland
9. Which Commonwealth city is the most expensive place to live on the planet in 2014? (According to a research of Economist Intelligence Unit)
A. Cape Town
10. Which literary prize was only traditionally given to authors from Commonwealth countries, including Ireland & Zimbabwe?
A. International Rubery Book Award
B. The Man Booker Prize
C. The People’s Book Prize
Done! Please scroll down to see the solutions.
Continue reading the main story March 10 is Commonwealth Day. Ahead of the 2014 Games in Glasgow this summer, test your…www.bbc.com
Fifty-three countries are members of the Commonwealth. Our countries span Africa, Asia, the Americas, Europe and the…thecommonwealth.org
- C (Most recent member state is Rwanda, joining in 2009.)
- A (The official values are democracy, the Human rights & the rule of Law, but the Commonwealth supports actually all ;) )
- C (The Victorian Age ended when Queen Victoria died in 1901.)
- A (The First Games were held in Hamilton, Canada in 1930, then called the British Empire Games until 1966. There was even a forerunner, the Inter-Empire Championships.)
0–3 : Common as muck
4–6 : Common sense
7–10 : Commonwealth Gold