The Summer Has Come — Bright, Bold, But Also Gentle
June 2021 Newsletter by Gameful Life
In the last month’s newsletter, I featured a picture of poppies, although they haven’t been blooming in Denmark then yet.
They do now and beautifully so, but when I searched for an image for this newsletter, forget-me-nots drew my attention. They are my son’s favorite flowers, and his little sister claims to have them as her favorites sometimes, too. They bloom in many places on our street, and this year their blue color seems to be brighter than it ever was. It is still gentle but bright nonetheless. I don’t know how this is possible.
I hope I live like that too: being bold (courageous) and gentle (kind to others and myself). Right after publishing last month’s newsletter, I wrote a piece that goes along with the previous sentence:
It has not been published in Gameful Life, but I wanted to share it with you nonetheless.
Living boldly includes trying something new, and in that respect, many things have happened since the last newsletter in May.
For example, I created two new publications on Medium:
The titles of the publications might not seem to cover gameful living, but they do. You will find the words “games” and “gameful” featured in many of them, and being kind, honest, and helpful to others and ourselves go as strong threads through all the pieces there.
That is why I added all the articles I published in these two publications in the past month into this newsletter’s digest below. You will find the stories sorted by publication.
And one more news that has to do with Medium and gameful life. Less than a week after sending out the May 2021 newsletter from Gameful Life, I published a book called Gameful Blogging on Medium.com: Thirteen Levels in the Epic Adventure of a Top Writer and Super Creator on Medium. It is a standalone book in a series of books I also call “Gameful Life.”
If, in addition to being a reader, you are also a writer here on Medium, I invite you to check out and read the book. It can support you in persevering and enjoying the process of writing and publishing on Medium.
To look at the book and buy it on Amazon, click on its title or the image above. If you want to see where else you can buy it, then go to the book’s page on my website here.
As I was revising the last version of the book, I got an appetite to write and publish more often than I did at the beginning of this year. So you will find quite a few articles in the digest below.
Right now, I am slowing down a little again because of a couple of new projects down the road. One of them is another book to come out this summer (the title will be Gameful Habits), and another is a lot of reading, which will reflect on my writing after the summer break.
Articles since the last Newsletter
And now it is time for this month’s story digest:
- “What Are the Parallels Between Networks in Games and Self-Help?”
- “The 3 Myths About Games I Might Have Created and Spread”
- “What Are the Buffs and Debuffs in Your Daily Life?”
- “The Obvious and the Desired Parallels between the Game Spore, Self-Help, and Life”
- “Why Are Points & Badges Both Enough and Not Enough When Turning Life into Fun Games?”
- “Why Does Living a Gameful Life Not Exclude Being Sad or Upset?”
Cheerleading for Writers:
- “How Anyone Can Write Books, Even If They Don’t Believe They Can”
- “3 Reasons Why It Is Good For You As a Writer to Read 15 Books or More in Parallel”
- “To Create Great Characters Start by Seeing Them as Real”
- “To Attend Or Not a Book Fair? That Is Not The Question.”
- “If You Resist Writing Something Without Being Asked, Then It Might Be Your Heart Doing the Asking”
- “To Write Great Beginnings, Middles, and Ends, Have Your Fun-Detecting Antenna On”
- “Where Do the Great Ideas and Inspiration Come From?”
- “Justification due to Fear, Expected Judgment, and Joy You Experience as a Writer”
- “Writing What You Know and Knowing What You Write”
When to expect the next Newsletter
As mentioned above, I am slowing down with writing and publishing on Medium in June. The same will be in July, also due to the summer vacation. So, there won’t be a newsletter in July. You can expect the next one somewhere in the middle of August, after my children start their new year at school on August 11. I gave you quite a reading list above until the next newsletter (grin) and hope that you enjoy what you find there.
Here’s where else you can find me
If you want to hear from me also before the next newsletter in August, I invite you to subscribe to my Optimist Writer’s blog and newsletter. I might post a blog or two there until August, and I will be sending a newsletter to those who subscribed to my mailing list as soon as my book Gameful Habits is out. You can subscribe to my mailing list here. And on my contact page, you can find out where else you can follow or contact me.
Thank you very much for your interest and support for Gameful Life! It means a lot to me.
Enjoy the bright, bold, gameful, but also gentle — when we look closer — nature of the Summer!
With best wishes,