South America: A travel guide
An incredibly diverse continent with plenty to explore.
South America offers travellers some spectacular adventures — from the Amazon rainforest, the beaches, the mountains, the history and culture.
Here is a quick guide to some of the key destinations:
- A surprisingly big country, Argentina’s highlights include the Iguazu Falls, the peaks of the Andes, and the Patagonian plains.
- Buenos Aires is probably your starting point, but Cordoba, Salta, Mendoza, and Bariloche are all worth exploring.
- Brazil dominates South America — with its rainforests and beaches.
- Rio de Janeiro is going to be high on your list of must-sees, immerse yourself in the samba clubs of the favelas.
- For many years Colombia was seen as one of the world’s hot-spots for all the wrong reasons. Today however things seem a lot calmer and you can throw yourself into Bogota, the jungle, the archaeological ruins, or simply enjoy the Caribbean coastline.
- Venezuela is currently in the news as political unrest continues to grip the country.
- Probably best avoided by international travellers until some of the pressing domestic issues have been resolved.