Where to find the best ice-cream in London
Nothing beats a good ice-cream, right? When the weather starts to get a little warmer, or if you’re out and about and wanting to treat the kids (or yourself), some quality ice-cream or gelato can really put a spring in your step and a smile on your face.
However not all ice-cream is equal, and just like any city, it’s worth having a bit of local knowledge on the best ice-cream options for your money and your tastebuds.
After many years of extensive research, here’s my favourite places to find a sweet treat in London:
La Gelatiera — Covent Garden
- On the edge of Covent Garden in New Row, if you’re quick you can grab your ice-cream from here during the interval when you’re at the theatre.
- They make their ice-cream on the premises (in a small basement kitchen). They make good coffee too. It’s only a small space, so there’s not a huge range to choose from, but everything that they’ve got there is good.
- If you’re feeling adventurous, there’s options like Basil & Chilli, but there’s plenty of traditional flavours if that’s more your thing.
Gelupo — Soho
- Archer Street in Soho is one of London’s surprisingly interesting streets.
- In the midst of the theatres and creative industries, there is Jacob Kenedy’s exciting Italian restaurant Bocca Di Lupo, and across the road is its dessert off-shoot Gelupo.
- The gelato and sorbet menu changes regularly — my favourites include Fresh Mint Stracciatella; Ricotta & Sour Cherry; and the Caramel & Liquorice.
- Gelupo is the perfect ice-cream destination whatever the weather.
Lab G — Brixton
- Lab G occupies a small space in the heart of the old market buildings that have been transformed into Brixton Village.
- The Brixton Village precinct in south London is a buzzing hive of small restaurants, cafes, and bars. Wherever you’ve chosen to eat your breakfast, lunch, or dinner, Lab G is definitely the place to head to for dessert.
- Creating freshly made ice-cream and great flavours — my favourites are probably being the chocolate-orange, the whisky liqueur, and the salted caramel, but they’re all good.
Udderlicious — Islington
- The stylish neighbourhood of Islington is one of London’s best — the perfect precinct for wandering around and exploring on a weekend.
- One of the highlights of a visit to this neighbourhood is ice-cream from Udderlicious on Upper Street.
- A great range of flavours and top quality ice-cream, made on the premises from organic milk.
- I generally opt for the peanut butter and chocolate, matched with a big scoop of Nutella-flavoured ice-cream. Heaven.