Ever wondered what happens in the techies’ meet of DSC over days and nights with utter dedication and excitement to develop?
Well, this is something every tech enthusiast wants to know and learn from!
At Developer Student Clubs (DSC) VIT, we hold regular sessions and night meets to work on several projects that aim at serving a specific sector of society.
WE RESEARCH, WE DISCOVER, WE DEVELOP…
Team DSC VIT is aimed at exploring the real life obstacles that members from different cultural and professional backgrounds face. Our tech team then proposes an efficient solution to that using the emerging technologies under Computer Science in the recent era.
For the past few months, DSC VIT has been up to quite-a-few things, that have contributed for the welfare of the society.
How we ideate, how we design, how we develop, and how we publicize — can always be tracked by following us on social media like Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
Our latest milestones:
Election eye was used by hundreds of police officers in Tamil Nadu elections for live monitoring of patrolling vehicles.
- Lack of ordered data — For example: latitude and longitude columns had unneeded commas in them.
- Language barrier to an extent — Everything that was said wasn’t exactly understood. Yaswant, being someone who speaks Tamil, helped when he collaborated with the project members later on.
The last event coordinator you will ever need Get started with setting up Project Hades locally. This project uses…
This project was executed by a dozen club members during a hackathon for maintaining the event, attendance, coupons, etc.
- Lack of developers with the project stack knowledge.
- Lack of resources for complex deployments.
- Dynamically changing libraries caused a lot of rewrites (eg: Flutter deprecating support for some of the libraries).
- Dynamic requirements: The project was meant for our chapter only, but we decided to work on it more and create a general on-site event management tool.
Enhancement of GitHub organizations API
For calculating score of all members of any github organisation and top contributors of all repositories. You can use…
A few things were added in the pre-existing GitHub organization leader board.
- GitHub Graph API
- Interchangeable organization leader board
- Top contributors for organizations
- Repository specific metadata for organizations
- Plug-gable caching layer
- Automatic Scheduled cache update
- Manual cache update
- GitHub Oauth
- Lack of prior knowledge of
tornadowhich was used as a back-end framework.
- Custom Redis deployment on Heroku.
DSC recruitment website
It was used by hundreds of students for the recruitment all the domains for the chapter
- Lack of expertise in the required technical domain (since this was the team’s first project).
- Couldn’t deliver the work within expected time.
- Slight communication gap between the mentors and the developers.
Snapchat Filter Submission Portal
An online portal for participants to upload and submit creative filters for Snapchat…github.com
This project included building an online portal to conduct a creative filter making competition in collaboration with Snapchat and Developer Student Clubs VIT, powered by Google.
The most creative filter would be awarded with Goodies from Snapchat and DSC.
- Lack of prior technical knowledge (since it was the team’s first project).
- Inability to complete required tasks within the time constraint.
You can't perform that action at this time. You signed in with another tab or window. You signed out in another tab or…
This app is primarily made for DSC and may be expanded further. It is used to list an event and certain tasks inside the same. Tasks can be assigned to different people or even they can opt for the same. Tasks can also be deleted but only by the head of the community. One can also upload files related to the event for easy retrieval.
Group Alarm App
Ever been woken up by a 6:00 AM alarm even when you're at home on vacation? We at DSC VIT knows how frustrating the…
It is a utility application where one can group alarms under different labels. Suppose you have a College label in which all days have 8:00 am alarms and a Home label in which all days have 10:00 am alarms, now instead of changing alarms for each day, you can turn off the College label once you go home and turn on the Home label.
- Insufficient knowledge about pending intent, which is used to set the alarms in android.
- Inexperience of the team at animations. So, they took time to learn and implement it in the app.
WomenTechies Website and Application
A mobile application for the event — WomenTechies’19 by WomenTechmakers and Developer Student Clubs… github.com
This project included a website as well as an application to ensure the smooth workflow of various tasks during the event — WomenTechies’19.
The main motive of the project was to promote VIT Alumni meet and get more of our Alumni to attend the event in person. Internally, it also had another use of collecting more information about alumni like their current personal email id, their working history, their marital status etc.
- Time constraints.
- Reaching out a lot of people was a big challenge. VIT does not have most of Alumni email ids so the promotion was mainly done through VITAA social media handles. But then most of them don’t even know those handles existed, which made it more challenging.
Not every-time you would deliver success — DSC has had its share of failures too, where a lack of expertise or resources caused unexpected delays. These projects were still completed for the developer experience, but couldn’t be utilized to their fullest for helping the target audience due to delivery delay.
MyFFCS redefined (Website and Application)
You can’t perform that action at this time. You signed in with another tab or window. You signed out in another tab or…
It is a website for course registration in our college. With an FAQ chatbot, mock course registration functionalities etc
WEBSITE — FAILURE!
APPLICATION — SUCCESS!
- Lack of prior technical knowledge (since this was the first project).
- Difficulty integrating template-embedded back-end when an individual front-end developer was working on the same.
Learning in bits
The idea of this application was to provide the users with different quotes each time they used the application. The quotes were segregated on the basis of the topics that were selected by the user.
DSC is not going to stop developing anytime soon! We have tons of ambitious project ideas in mind and are always learning to be able to execute those. We hope to create, build and develop together.
Stay connected with us through social media to know more such updates!
DSC VIT - Powered By Google Developers
The latest Tweets from DSC VIT - Powered By Google Developers (@dscvit). A Google Developers program for university…
Follow us on GitHub to track our projects!