February 2018 Global Education Projects and Opportunities
Welcome to our monthly blog post highlighting happenings in the global education community! If you would like your news highlighted here, make sure to post in our main community’s discussion forum, and we will include it next month. Past blog posts can be found here.
Steve Hargadon and myself (Lucy Gray) are looking forward to upcoming event which include the CoSN/UNESCO Global Symposium on Educating for Digital Citizenship and our Global Leadership Summit hosted in partnership with ASCD. The roster of speakers at both events are amazing!
Also, don’t forget about Global Leadership Week which will take place March 19–23, 2018! This is an opportunity for educators to highlight and advocate for global programs and initiatives that support the development of global competence in students and teachers. Host your own event, exhibit at our second virtual Global Education Fair, or simply attend the Fair and assorted events. We also are co-hosting a Global Leadership Summit at ASCD’s Empower18 conference in Boston on March 23rd.
We also maintain a calendar of global education events, and submissions are welcome. To see this and other resources, join our community and then click on this link (you have to be a member of the GEC to see these resources).
Below you will find a collection of resources and opportunities that we’ve noticed this month! Please share this information widely with friends and colleagues. Thanks!
- We are so pleased to hear that Barbara Anna Zielonka of Norway is one of 10 finalists for the Global Teacher Prize. She was one of the grantees of our Great Global Project Challenge last year and has presented at our annual conference. To learn more about her work, follow her on Twitter.
- If you are waiting for a certificate for the Global Education Conference, there was some confusion over the list of completers and Lucy needs to finish creating certificates for some people. She WILL get to this; she’s just a bit busy right now. Have faith!
- If you have a global project or organization to promote and/or if you want to share your favorite resources and tips for going global, participate in our Global Share-O-Rama Flipgrid. Click on a topic, then the +, and leave a short video comment for others to view. Take time to view the videos from others to learn about more opportunities. We will be using this Flipgrid at upcoming events, and this is a great way to bring our global professional learning community with us!
- CoSN/UNESCO Global Symposium on Educating for Digital Citizenship — March 12, 2018, Washington DC
- The Global Leadership Summit at ASCD— March 23, 2018, Boston, MA
- The Global Education Fair (online during Global Leadership Week) — March 19, 2018, Online
- Global Leadership Week — March 19–23, 2018, Online
- Global Education Day at ISTE — June 24, 2018, Chicago, IL
Events from Other Organizations
- The iEARN International Conference and Youth Summit — July 8–14, 2018, Winchester, VA
- Global Landmark Games
- Mural Venture Project
- Online global projects for K-12 students — Flat Connections — Kick off February
- Promoting SDG Awareness with Classroom Posters — Partners needed!
- Project Feeder Watch — Contribute to Tracking Bird Migrations
- Project Kakuma: 100 Global Educators Offering Free Education to Kakuma Refugees
- Apply for ASCD’s Emerging Leader Program
- Asia Society’s Center for Global Education Online Courses
- Enabling the Future
- EveryWorld Initiative Virtual Exchange Scholarship
- Flat Connections Global News
- Fulbright Distinguished Awards in Teaching Program for U.S. Teachers — Short Term Program
- Fulbright Teachers for Global Classrooms Program (Fulbright TGC)
- Global Competence Certificate Registration from World Savvy
- Global Robotics Project
- Global Studies Survey Request (students)
- Innovation in Global Collaboration Award
- Inventor’s Challenge
- ISTEglobalPLN’s Slow Chat on Connecting All Learners on Twitter — February 17-18
- ITEN Virtual Community of Practice
- Join the Youth Leadership Academy
- The My HERO Project Fest — Entries Now Being Accepted
- National Chinese Language Conference
- NEA Foundation’s Global Fellowship Program
- New partnership looks to empower K-12 innovators
- QFI Arab World Resource Kits
- Skype in the Classroom Meet the Authors on February 28th— Henry Winkler & Lin Oliver
- Technology Use Survey for Students
- The United Nations Has Declared That Feb. 20th Is The “World Day of Social Justice” — Here Are Related Resources
- USC Shoah Foundation, Discovery Education Announce IWitness Video Challenge
- World Maths Day (March 7)
- World Savvy Seeks Volunteers for their World Savvy Festivals in Minneapolis and in the Bay Area
Worth a Read
- Can an Online Puzzle Make Geography Fun and Relevant?
- Connecting Classrooms to Global Health Topics with the SDGs
- Get Inspired by 9 Global Education Innovations
- Globally Connecting Learners Through Project-Based Learning |Getting Smart
- How the Arts can Contribute to Beautiful, Meaningful International Projects
- How to Assess Global Competence
- How to bring global learning to your classroom
- How to Enable Online Global Collaboration in Your Learning Environment
- I Work in a Globally Minded School. Here’s Why Students Are Better for It
- Making your MUN conference or club IMPACTFUL
- Private school with global ambition to open in D.C. and China in 2019
- Sustainable Development Goals Board Game
- Teaching for Global Competence in a Rapidly Changing World