Low Latency Performance and API Improvements
In August 2017, we migrated our trading platform to our own hardware in Equinix’s premier NY5 data center in Secaucus, New Jersey.
Since then, trade execution on our exchange has achieved latency to the microseconds. Additionally, we are the only digital asset exchange in the world to offer customers the ability to cross connect directly to our trading infrastructure — matching the sophistication of major global equities and derivatives exchanges. No other digital asset exchange in the world offers this caliber of world-class performance and our breadth of connectivity options.
As we continue to grow and enhance our infrastructure, we are constantly listening to our customers and implementing your functionality requests. As such, we proudly share these new API features we have now released.
We currently offer three different protocols to connect to our trading system: REST API, WebSockets API, and FIX. The REST and WebSockets APIs are available over the public Internet whereas a FIX connection will require a cross connect in our data center.
Our latest enhancements:
- FIX Third Party Support for Order Management Systems (OMS) — We added FIX third party support for OMS/OEMS (order execution management system) and are working with a number of OMS providers to expand their access to our exchange. If you are an OMS provider and would like to work with us, please email BizDev@gemini.com.
- Block Trading API (REST/FIX) — We launched Gemini Block Trading™ in April 2018 with FIX/REST API support and released Block limit orders via our UI. Gemini Block Trading™ enables our customers to buy and sell large quantities of digital assets outside of Gemini’s continuous order books, creating an additional mechanism to source liquidity when trading in greater size. For more information, please see our Marketplace page, API Document, and blog post.
- FIX Connectivity — We partnered with Beeks Financial Cloud to greatly expand the FIX connectivity options we provide.
- REST Endpoint Transfer History — You can now view the transfer history for all deposits and withdrawals for your USD and digital assets. This was a highly requested feature — you spoke and we listened! Click here for more details.
- Performance Improvements — We continue to improve our data center to reduce latency while ensuring predictable processing times under heavy loads. Our continuous improvements to our API Documents enhance the usability of our API, including, new detailed Python examples.
- Coming soon — Our June API features will include read-only access to private orders and trades (another top customer request), the market data WebSockets API will offer top of book and let you filter by entry type to get only the updates you want, and we’ll provide the reason why some orders get canceled.
Finally, we want to hear from you! Gemini’s mission is to build the future of money, and we rely on your ongoing feedback and partnerships to best tailor our improvements and achieve our mission.
If you have an API feature request or feedback on our API documentation, please drop us a line at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Onward and Upward,